Author Topic: Is there anything in this file?  (Read 5001 times)

craigr

Re: Is there anything in this file?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
I just ended up sending several different back-rev'd versions, plus a .pdf and told him that that is the best I could do.

At some point, he has to accept that HE is the one using the 'Free' software asking me to fix his drawing for him.

I don't mean to sound cold, (though I probably do), but I don't know what else I can do for him.

Bethrine

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 05:44:48 PM »
I just ended up sending several different back-rev'd versions, plus a .pdf and told him that that is the best I could do.

At some point, he has to accept that HE is the one using the 'Free' software asking me to fix his drawing for him.

I don't mean to sound cold, (though I probably do), but I don't know what else I can do for him.

You could install, learn and use QCAD?  :evil:

snownut2

• Swamp Rat
  • Bricscad 22 Ultimate
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »
Send him this link to Autodesk Viewer. http://usa.autodesk.com/design-review/

exmachina

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 11:55:51 PM »
Isn't Autodesk still the 'King' of CAD prgs?...
It has never been the king. Perhaps it is the most popular, but this has no relation to the quality
Don't you know Creo Elements (aka Pro/E), Catia, SolidWorks, Solid Edge...?, MSC, Numeca, SolidCam,CAMWorks ...?,  Wscad, Eplan, CATIA Electrical CAD...?

...Kinda the one that all the other CAD prgs try to emulate?
Uhmmm...I think Autodesk is trying to emulate others:
Do you know the history of autodesk inventor?, Adesk Mechanical?, Adesk Electrical? Who has used before "dynamic blocks", bentley or Adesk?, What about the 3d graphics engine? ...  and what about the old SGI products?

craigr

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 07:28:40 AM »
Okay.

I didn't mean to get you worked up.

In OUR little corner of the world, (constructions), it is not uncommon for 'Specs' to stipulate AutoCAD or an AutoCAD Product.

AND, when I was in college, 20 years ago, all of the schools around here taught AutoCAD.

Obviously, I haven't kept up with what is happening in the CAD world.

I didn't mean to get you so worked up. It was a simple question based on my limited knowledge on the subject.

craigr

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 10:26:52 AM »
Isn't Autodesk still the 'King' of CAD prgs?...
It has never been the king. Perhaps it is the most popular, but this has no relation to the quality
Don't you know Creo Elements (aka Pro/E), Catia, SolidWorks, Solid Edge...?, MSC, Numeca, SolidCam,CAMWorks ...?,  Wscad, Eplan, CATIA Electrical CAD...?

...Kinda the one that all the other CAD prgs try to emulate?
Uhmmm...I think Autodesk is trying to emulate others:
Do you know the history of autodesk inventor?, Adesk Mechanical?, Adesk Electrical? Who has used before "dynamic blocks", bentley or Adesk?, What about the 3d graphics engine? ...  and what about the old SGI products?

Bad comparison, really.  Try doing P&IDs in CREO or CATIA.   ;-)
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
Wouldn't the onus of interoperability with other CAD programs be on the *other* software?  There's enough work getting their products to talk to each other, let alone some third-party.

Certainly Carl (and Carol before him) believe that.  Fundamentally though, it's a belief that serves neither society, their customers, our industries, or the autodesk products.  In the short term, customer lock-in always _seems_ like a good idea (Just ask the CEO of DEC!)  but in the long term, it's rent seeking that benefits no-one except those who take the profits and skedaddle.

From the perspective of an Autodesk customer, who uses several of  their products every day, I see no valid reason (except rent-seeking behavior) for Autodesk not joining into the Open Design Alliance and documenting their proprietary version of the DWG format and making it a (dominant) part of the OpenDWG format.  There are, after all, many more vendors with software creating OpenDWG files than the single company creating .dwgs.

when Autodesk competes on their abilities, they do a darn good job and come up with very decent tools.  Faux competition by FUD and unnecessary customer lockin is apparently ingrained into their corporate DNA though, and detrimental to both us and them.  I'm all in favor of competition - it's a great way to get new ideas and find the 'best' approach to solving problems.   And if Adesk was actually competing, instead of being an 800lb orangutan, perhaps instead of a choice of light and dark themes, and non-productive eye-candy, they could spend that effort on actully getting interoperability between their own offerings.  Maybe Map would even be able to query in C3D parcels!  Or finish SSM, maybe even fix MLines
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

exmachina

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »
AND, when I was in college, 20 years ago, all of the schools around here taught AutoCAD.
20 years ago?
Probably "someone" gave money (and free licenses) to college for... there is no other explanation.

In OUR little corner of the world, (constructions), it is not uncommon for 'Specs' to stipulate AutoCAD or an AutoCAD Product.
Bad comparison

Only spoke in general about CAD programs and their graphics engines. Anyway:
Catia:
http://www.3ds.com/fr/industries/architecture-ingenierie-et-construction/
http://www.3ds.com/products-services/catia/capabilities/mechanical-engineering/fluid-systems/
... Intergraph, Bentley?

I do not speak English, so please excuse any mistakes.