Author Topic: (Microstation) Why Self Reference?  (Read 3684 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
(Microstation) Why Self Reference?
« on: November 07, 2007, 02:23:46 PM »
My company is in the transition to MS and we put all references in Model, then ref itself to layout. I had thought we did this so us old ACADer's can understand whats going on, but I'm seeing where others are "self referencing".

Is there a reason for self ref'ing from model to layout in same file, why not ref straight to the layout?   :?
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Arizona

Re: Why Self Reference?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
it would still be considered self referencing.
self referencing refers to referencing a file to itself, such as referencing a model to a sheet layout (similar to paper/model space layouts), but you create the reference inside the master file.
autocad does not allow self referencing. which after seeing it poorly used in the microstation world is not necessarily a bad thing. its a powerful tool if done with some consistency, but without the consistency or "standards", it can be your worse nightmare.

DannyC

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 04:00:34 PM »
Hello
You mention "model" then "layout" (a left over from Autocad I think). There are some circumstances where it can be useful to use self referencing. But in the example you mention, the generally accepted (certainly here in the UK) Microstation "way of doing things", is to keep the models (often called design files) separate from the Sheet files ( = layout; Microstation users and companies generally don't work in terms of modelspace and paperspace). Typically all the design files are in one folder (or folders) and the Sheet files in a separate folder (or folders). The design files (there may be several of them referenced in to each other to make the finished piece of work; example: structure.dgn, cladding.dgn, internal.dgn, ....) are then referenced in to a Sheet file, which has a border referenced in at the required scale. Each Sheet file (= drawing) should only contain 1 drawing. Typically you would have several folders: 1:100 ;1:50 and so on. The same design files should be used with different drawing sheets. Each time you have a slightly different arrangement of Level ON/OFF, hatching/patterns, annotations which are appropriate to that particular type of drawing.
For the time being, I would avoid using self referencing if possible and leave that until you are more familiar with the Microstation "way of doing things".
Hope that is a least a bit clearer.

Regards

Danny Cooley
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:01:48 PM by DannyC »

Arizona

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:15:52 PM »
good explanation Danny!

and btw, welcome to the swamp!