Author Topic: Brain Dead Drawing only?  (Read 21104 times)

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
Re: Brain Dead Drawing only?
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2007, 11:12:14 AM »
One thing I tell them is to leave anything that comes with Autocad as "standard", like dimstyle and textstyle alone and create one that is uniquely named.  Yeah, you *CAN* modify them to no detriment, but it does increase the chance of something going wrong, so it makes sense not to do it and avoid the issue alltogether.

I've had hard times explaining this to some guys. You can re-font the standard style, but at a later stage you are going to have problems.  A simple macro does the trick for me.

Code: [Select]
(command "-style" "BKS RomanS" "RomanS" "0" "0.8" "0" "N" "N" "N")
And avoid names like "title" and "heading" etc. and use the font name in your style name. That makes it easier to see what font you are using.
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

CADaver

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2007, 11:31:16 AM »
When they pay the bills, it is often a challenge to "require" that.  Now, if they didn't then we may not eat the cost of fixing it, but thats another story.
Why is it a challenge to to get the files you need to execute the work??  If you don't ask for all the right data, you need to eat the cost for fixing it.  As soon as you get a template or a spec that says use style "whatever", the very next question should be "What's the font for that style?"  Depending on FONTALT to cover it is a "cad monkey" error.
You assume we don't ask?  :lmao:
If you did, you'd have the right font and there'd be no issue.

Remember, in our case, most of the people are outsourcing not just because they are busy, but also they sometimes do not have the knowledge to make their in-house engineering dept work to any kind of a standard and they work very inefficiantly. If they had things well in hand they probably wouldn't need us to do work for them (if they have drafters on staff anyway, a few don't have cad at all).  Most don't know what a standard is (at least until they have worked with us for a while). 
You keep talking about "them" and "they", what "they" do matters not at all.

We VERY frequently end up doing more then just outsourcing, we end up helping the client set up a cad standard for themselves and help them document them so those issues don't crop up again. 
Then re-fonting style Standard is NO issue.

I have trained more then one cad manager from one of our clients engineering departments after they have worked with us for a few years and we show them the time and money they are spending due to not having things documented or standardized.

One thing I tell them is to leave anything that comes with Autocad as "standard", like dimstyle and textstyle alone
Why?? Its a non-issue.

Yeah, you *CAN* modify them to no detriment, but it does increase the chance of something going wrong, so it makes sense not to do it and avoid the issue alltogether.
if you've trained them as you say you have, re-fonting style standard will not be an issue and CANNOT increase the chance of something being wrong.  What WILL increase that chance for erro is assuming that ANYone leaves them alone.

CADaver

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2007, 11:41:02 AM »
One thing I tell them is to leave anything that comes with Autocad as "standard", like dimstyle and textstyle alone and create one that is uniquely named.  Yeah, you *CAN* modify them to no detriment, but it does increase the chance of something going wrong, so it makes sense not to do it and avoid the issue alltogether.

I've had hard times explaining this to some guys. You can re-font the standard style, but at a later stage you are going to have problems. 
Why?? What problem can possibly occur??  If you use your little macro, style Standard could be Chinese with no ill-effect to your file.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »

And avoid names like "title" and "heading" etc. and use the font name in your style name. That makes it easier to see what font you are using.

Just like everyone else does ;)

Shinyhead

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2007, 11:46:35 AM »
  :lmao:   Your right, nothing can go wrong with clients not knowing thier own standard and clients always give you good information when you ask.  They never off hand tell you something that in the end is not true (like exploding hatch and dimensions). They never give out of date sample drawings that show how they used to do it, not how they do it now.

Are you guys hiring, I would kill to work in that environment.  :-P

CADaver

« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2007, 12:54:12 PM »
  :lmao:   Your right, nothing can go wrong with clients not knowing thier own standard and clients always give you good information when you ask.  They never off hand tell you something that in the end is not true (like exploding hatch and dimensions). They never give out of date sample drawings that show how they used to do it, not how they do it now.
Again, "they" "they" "they"... you are responsible for your drawings, not "they".

Are you guys hiring, I would kill to work in that environment.  :-P
Yes we are, big time.  PM a resume.

Shinyhead

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2007, 01:08:30 PM »
Well, your right in that we are responsible for what we produce, they just didn't know what they were asking for.  If we ask, and get no answer, they are stuck, not us.

As for the resume, thanks but I am pretty happy here, unless you have an office in Gainesville Florida and have a really really good offer   :-)

CADaver

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2007, 01:52:55 PM »
Well, your right in that we are responsible for what we produce, they just didn't know what they were asking for.  If we ask, and get no answer, they are stuck, not us.
precisely, so re-fonting a style is no issue.

As for the resume, thanks but I am pretty happy here, unless you have an office in Gainesville Florida and have a really really good offer   :-)
Well we have really good offers about seven hundred miles due West of Gainesville.

Shinyhead

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2007, 01:56:45 PM »
That is a bit too far a commute for me, that and the whole Gulf Of Mexico getting in the way.

CADaver

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2007, 02:12:04 PM »
That is a bit too far a commute for me, that and the whole Gulf Of Mexico getting in the way.
If you go North on I-75 about 50 miles to I-10, the Gulf ain't in the way.

Shinyhead

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »
Well thats no fun then and its definately out.

Heck if I could I would love to take my horse to work, just no where to put her at the office.

Used to take a boat to work, those were some fun times.

Used to work on a boat too, not so much fun.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2007, 02:17:54 PM »

You mean you can go AROUND that thing?!  shoooooooot gettin' to Orlando just got a lot cheaper!

CADaver

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »

You mean you can go AROUND that thing?!  shoooooooot gettin' to Orlando just got a lot cheaper!
probably more dry as well

Shinyhead

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2007, 03:25:38 PM »
Sorry, I have driven I-10, I'll stick to the water. :-D

Josh Nieman

« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
Sorry, I have driven I-10, I'll stick to the water. :-D

not a bad idea...