Author Topic: What do YOU do with those error reports  (Read 5695 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
What do YOU do with those error reports
« on: February 26, 2004, 03:23:55 PM »
When ACAD crashes and you get the option to send the error report to Adesk do you?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 03:57:11 PM »
nope
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 04:02:31 PM »
I know I will regret this but since I got XP pro Acad has not……………….crashed.
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Craig

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 04:27:27 PM »
Nope, not me but My Autocad hasn't crashed [crossing fingers]. I have had some other software crash and hit Don't Send everytime

t-bear

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 05:12:47 PM »
This system is so lame that if I took the time to write Adork :choke:  every time it went down, I'd get nothing done.  Usually 4-5 times a day...usually with a zoom-pan.  Been like that for since the "up"grade from 14 & no one at Adork :choke:  or my re-seller can finger it out.....I've learned to live with it :fart:  & the secretairy's learned to plug her ears..... :yikes:

(I kinda LIKE the new e-motor-cons)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 05:23:23 PM »
Bear, ive heard of that problem.  ...*thinking* What ver. you on again? 02?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

TR

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 07:53:25 PM »
If it's 2000i I think it can be fixed by installing a service pack.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 08:17:50 PM »
I haven't had an Autocad crash in over 5 years. Another reason not to throw away R14?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 11:10:26 PM »
I frequently have crashes, but I have never had the opportunity present itself to notify Autodesk. If I was given that opportunity I would not do it. WHY you ask??
Well, I am glad you asked.... let me tell you!

Two reasons mainly.....

1. Software developers have been gathering information about what makes programs crash ever since there were computers. It makes for a better program. HOWEVER, as is now prevalent in the corporate world today (and as Autodesk has already proven to me) Any bugs that are found are arbitrarily fixed and ... can we say R14 ??? Yes R14 was in fact the replacement for R13 because it was so buggy, I remember seeing statements at Autodesk's web site around that time frame that went something like this:
  Problem: AutoCAD crashes whenever I do this...
  Solution: This problem has been addressed in the latest version. Upgrading to R14 will solve this issue.

and...

Of the many reasons why it is beneficial to upgrade to R14 is that there have been numerous bug fixes for problems found in R13.....

Hell they should have given EVERYONE who purchased R13 a free upgrade because it was so bad.

2. The current version of AutoCAD will run $2700 per license, or there about. Multiply that times the number of LEGAL users worldwide, and tell me if they cannot afford to effectively alpha test, beta test etc..... basically, if I am going to be their omega tester, I feel I should be compensated, perhaps with a reduced cost seat?

3. Well ok I only said 2 but this one is so important I didn't think it should be left out....
 I don't trust the corporate world. I am never sure what information I am sending them, so I send them nothing.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

M-dub

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 08:14:33 AM »
Every once in a while I do...but only from Work...Never from home.  Don't know why....paranoia maybe?  (What else is being sent?)

t-bear

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 10:57:32 AM »
Keith wrote:
[/quote]The current version of AutoCAD will run $2700 per license, or there about. Multiply that times the number of LEGAL users worldwide, and tell me if they cannot afford to effectively alpha test, beta test etc.....

I agree, there is too much avarice in todays business world.  everything is pointed toward the bottom line, rather than producing a usable product.  We see this especially in areas where a corporation has a "lock" on a product or service....Micro$oft....AutoDork.....  They don't feel a need to produce a decient product.  The customer has to take what's offered in order to continue functioning. Unfortunatly this has a trickle-down effect....kids today don't have the work ethic they did twenty-thirty years ago.  I see it all the time in the "applicants" I get through here.
Damn....I'm ramblin' again..... :oops:

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 11:46:57 AM »
Hey t-bear,

Take a look at this thread......maybe it will help your pan crashes.

http://www.cadalog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=16131&highlight=crash

Ron :D

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

t-bear

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 05:29:07 PM »
Ron...
What's "whiparc"?  Sounds like something my wife'd be into on a Saturday night... :yikes:
Seriously, I've not heard of it.  I know, I know...where's the Bear been all these years?  Hidin' in the woods,  :dood: !!!!
How dsoes it effect pan-n-zoom?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 09:57:24 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
Ron...
What's "whiparc"?  Sounds like something my wife'd be into on a Saturday night... :yikes:
Seriously, I've not heard of it.  I know, I know...where's the Bear been all these years?  Hidin' in the woods,  :dood: !!!!
How dsoes it effect pan-n-zoom?

Whiparc controls the display of arcs and circles as either true arcs and circles or as vectorized representations (probably as defined by viewres but not documented as such). Interestingly enough, the issue with pan-n-zoom and Whiparc becomes intriguing when you see the newest system variable in 2004. Whipthread controls whether or not the pan-n-zoom process is handled by a single processor on multiple processor machines or if it is delegated to a different processor. This makes me think that perhaps the pan-n-zoom process thread somehow has an inherent error that makes the processor generate a fatal error when a graphics update is required while panning and zooming. Mind you, I cannot prove this theory, but it sure fits the bill...

t-bear

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 02:48:59 PM »
OK...so it's an integral part of CAD.....Hmmmmmmm.  I thought it might be some kinda add-on.  I gotta learn AutoCAD some day!
I'm on 2000i, might be "up"gradin to 2k4 in a couple-a months.  Solo processor, so I might STILL have this freakin problem? I really don't need to hear this!  My "owners" are startin' construction on a new plant & offices for the Co. this summer.... gettin more $$$ out of them's gonna be like pullin' hens teeth......
Ahhhhh, a day in the life of a CADdin' fool.......

daron

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2004, 09:35:51 AM »
I don't think you'll have this problem when you upgrade. As far as hitting the send button goes, I only hit it when I know that it wasn't my fault, i.e. if I programmed the crash, then they're not going to know how to fix it. Of course, I find sometimes that if I test a function a few times it closes with a c++ runtime error.

Kate M

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 11:35:21 AM »
Like Daron said -- if I know *I* didn't do anything, I'll send it. Fortunately, though, XP/2004 seems to be a pretty stable combination.

daron

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 11:49:50 AM »
Well, my problem occurs in XP CAD2004. Must be a vlide thing. Maybe I should send it.

CB_Cal_UK

ADT 2004
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2004, 10:34:17 AM »
I'm nearly a week into my new upgrade of 2004 and so far it's been fairly stable ( . . . . . . waits for computer to crash . . . . . . )

The only proper crashes I've had so far have been from known incompatibilities with ADT 2004 and the r2000 express tools.

The two biggest bugs for me in r2000 (or ADT 2i as I was actually using!)
were using 'matchprop' on hatches (always caused a fatal error) and copying and pasting obejcts in mtext windows; if you accidentally forgot you had drawing objects on the clipboard and you pasted those into a text window CRASH!

Still, not only have I got brand new software I've got a brand new computer to run it on. (Intel Xeon 3.06Ghz, 2GB RAM, Wildcat 4 7110 Graphics Card, Dual Monitors - Dream Machine!)

Fingers crossed it stays that way!!

ps By the time I did actually get ADT 2004 installed AutoCAD were up to service pack 2!

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2004, 10:37:44 AM »
Yep the matchprop for hatches does not always crash, but it does crash ALOT of the time. I have never had the issue with the MTEXT past thing. Maybe i'll give it a try to see what happens? :shock:

daron

Re: ADT 2004
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2004, 10:57:20 AM »
Quote from: CB_Cal_UK
...Still, not only have I got brand new software I've got a brand new computer to run it on. (Intel Xeon 3.06Ghz, 2GB RAM, Wildcat 4 7110 Graphics Card, Dual Monitors - Dream Machine!)...

Copycat. Those are my exact cpu specs. Sweet machine, eh?

CB_Cal_UK

Re: ADT 2004
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 11:07:26 AM »
Quote from: Daron
Those are my exact cpu specs. Sweet machine, eh?

It wouldn't be a Dell Precision Workstation 650 in Midnight Black would it?

When the IT manager told me I was getting a new computer he asked if I had any special requests. I thought "What the hell, I'll push my luck" and asked for 2GB of RAM (most of the systems here are still running 512MB and the new ones [6 months old or so] only have 1GB) so I was quite surprised when he told me he'd already specified 2GB!
So I went all out and asked for Dual monitors! Couldn't quite convince him to get me 2 x 21 inchers so I've got a big 'un and a little 'un. But it's still great to have one big monitor dedicated to the drawing window (Didn't realise beforehand though that in ADT2004 the properties and tool palette windows have a 'hide' function that stacks them neatly down the side of the screen but who cares!)

Chris

daron

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 01:36:22 PM »
Yes, it's a Dell 650, midnight black. I got mine the same way, but pushing my luck. Both 21", but I'd take 19"'s if I could get them in flat panel. On that note, I'd take two 19"'s over any single (normal) monitor. What else is nice about two monitors, is that you can put all the toolbars you want on the other one and leave the drawing area clear and free for use as a drawing area. Hmm? Sounds like Bear needs dual's. He's loaded with toolbars. Previous to this setup, I had 1 21" and 1 19". Even with that, I'd still stretch autocad out across both. That is so nice when you need to have two drawings open, sidexside or when you need to work with viewports in modelspace.

CB_Cal_UK

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2004, 09:02:54 AM »
I've just been checking the comparitive prices of monitors, and I was shocked to find I could get 2 x 19" monitors cheaper that one 21" monitor. Now that I know the benefits of dual monitors I don't think I could go back to a single.
But I agree with you about the flat panels. If only they weren't so much more expensive!

Now I just need to save up some cash so I can get a similar setup at home!

Hangman

Crashes and crap ...
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2004, 11:11:27 AM »
OK, back to the topic, and I have a couple questions maybe you guys could help me with.

My ADT 2k4 crashes from time to time.   When it does, I'm screwgied !!!
The last two crashes, each a month apart, I had to reinstall the OS.   I still do not know what happened as the message being sent to Adesk was not recorded on my pc for me to review.
The First crash, corrupted a driver and I couldn't even get windows XP to boot.   Bad deal.   The second crash, wiped out my network in some oddball way.   I tried taking the card out and wiping out the IP stack but it did me no good.   Now here's a question for you, why is it that XP has all these features for backup and restore points and such, when I get a crash like my last one, nothing works?   I could not do a restore, I could not go back to a previously "good" boot, I could not even do a simple repair.   The only thing I could do to get my network connection back was to reinstall XP and ALL my software.   :x
I had better luck with 98se and 2000i.   :(
  (Now my Rant: ...  )   Do you wanna hear it ???

Didn't think so.

Here's a question that pertains to nothing here but I can't find any other source to ask this and you guys are smarter than the average bear ...  (no pun intended Bear)

Does anyone know where I can find a font that writes letters sideways?  So that if you turn your paper 90 degrees, you can read the column from top to bottom.?.   I had one for ACAD but with one of my crashes it went the way of the evil Bill.
And, if it is compatible with windows so it can be used on a Word Doc, that would be GREAT !!!

daron

Re: What do YOU do with those error reports
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 06:54:22 PM »
I know I'm digging up a dead horse, but it seems he needs resurrecting. I'm using AC Architecture and I think this buggy thing crashes at least 10 times a day. Personally, I think it has to do with the autosave feature trying to run when I'm selecting an object. When I save more frequently than I have autosave set for, it crashes less. However, the reason I dug this up is because I figure as many times as this program crashes, I could keep them real busy trying to figure it out. If everyone sent these things in every time, they'd get so inundated with error reports that they might realize how buggy their programs really are. :ugly: :pissed:

sinc

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 08:55:42 PM »
With Civil-3D, I probably get at least 10 crashes a day, and I make sure to send each and every one of them to Autodesk...   :realmad:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 10:18:40 PM »
I get the crash reports too .. but you should look at who gets them .. all of the ones I have ever seen are going to MS only ... and guess what ... MS tells me that AutoCAD R14 has some compatability problem with XP Pro .. WHAT??? AutoCAD R14???? I don't even have R14 installed .. I am using only R2007 ...

pmvliet

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 12:37:23 AM »
MS tells me that AutoCAD R14 has some compatability problem with XP Pro .. WHAT??? AutoCAD R14???? I don't even have R14 installed .. I am using only R2007 ...

Nice  :-o :-(

pieter

sinc

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 12:46:36 AM »
I get the crash reports too .. but you should look at who gets them .. all of the ones I have ever seen are going to MS only ... and guess what ... MS tells me that AutoCAD R14 has some compatability problem with XP Pro .. WHAT??? AutoCAD R14???? I don't even have R14 installed .. I am using only R2007 ...

I ge that one sometimse, toot.  I've even responded, telling them R14 is a decade old and I'm using R17.1.

But the other one is most definitely for Autodesk.  Sometimes I see both of them, sometimes just one or the other, and occasionally C3D completely disappears with no warning and no error reporting at all.

All in all, though, this release is considerably more-stable than 2007, even if C3D will probably need at least five more years before it can be considered to be "out of beta".   :cry:

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 09:26:31 AM »
In my acad.lsp (setvar 'reporterror 0)  :wink:

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

DaveW

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 10:12:46 AM »
In my acad.lsp (setvar 'reporterror 0)  :wink:

Nice.

I crash, more than I would like to. These drawings I am in are quite large and many of the users are on 2007. It is not enough for me to make sure they have the latest service pack for the drawings to be stable in 2002, I have to use the code Chuck wrote (in the vb/vba area) to remove the proxies for the 2007 drawings too. Only then do they become fairly stable. I do not get that option running 2002. It almost makes you think they did it intentionally to get people off 2002. lol

sinc

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 12:22:10 PM »
It almost makes you think they did it intentionally to get people off 2002. lol

That sort of thing has crossed my mind more than I care to admit.  Sharing data among versions in the Civil world is SO BAD that it  seems like they've decided it's not worth their effort to even worry about interoperability AT ALL...  Just tell the entire world to upgrade to the new version all at the same time and expect them to do it, and no need to worry about sharing data with Bentley users at all...  After all, why would anyone want or need to use anything but Civil-3D?  :cry:

daron

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »
Well, after crashing once today, I decided to turn off autosave. I know what you're saying; "That's crazy!!!". Well, I haven't seen one crash in over 4 hours since turning it off. I save pretty regularly anyway, so I don't need autosave in there causing problems. Who knows, maybe it's not autosave, but I'm banking on most of my problems with all the crashes having come from two calls happening at the same time and Autocad not knowing how to handle that.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 03:53:31 PM »
Those of you who don't crash very much...obviously do not keep enough drawings open at the same time.....if you did, crashing w/ pan would work allllll the time...

as far as monitors goes....I have one 19" and would love to go bigger
but does it count that my existing monitor is 22" deep?????  I think it is older than me!!! :-)

daron

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 07:08:28 PM »
While acad has crashed less today than previous days, here's my latest report.
Moving a wall
Well, I was moving a wall.
It hung for several minutes.
I checked my email and read a couple of items on a cad forum.
finally, it crashed.
Actually, it still hasn't cleared from the screen yet.
Will this ever end?
As you can tell, I'm getting to the point of going batty with these things.

• Bull Frog
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 09:05:58 AM »
The last time I sent 4 line of verbal abuse without managing to repeat myself, ending by suggesting that they could shove the said offending in a location that would require the services of a vet to recover!!
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Cathy

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 05:18:40 PM »
I almost never bother with AutoCad, but I always send the report when in Inventor.  And I almost always get a response from Autodesk on the Inventor crashes.  I've never had a response from an AutoCad crash report. 

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 06:43:44 PM »
Well, after crashing once today, I decided to turn off autosave. ........................

I'd like to know your results {over a period of time} of this experiment ..
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

sinc

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2007, 01:03:24 PM »
The last time I sent 4 line of verbal abuse without managing to repeat myself, ending by suggesting that they could shove the said offending in a location that would require the services of a vet to recover!!

I haven't sent them verbal abuse, but back when they did that disastrous rollout of 2007 (the initial version crashed constantly on save, causing all work since last save to be lost), I was getting pretty upset.  I finally put in a comment that said "Q)What's the difference between Autodesk software and a drunk driver? A) Drunk drivers crash less often".

A week later I got an email saying I "seem to be suffering from a problem" they had identified, and asking if I wanted to test out the beta of the hotfix for it....  :-D

As for Autosave, that caused issues with Civil-3D 2007, so I turned it off, too.  I've kept it turned off ever since, so I don't know if they fixed the problem or not in 2008.