Author Topic: What do YOU do with those error reports  (Read 5826 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
What do YOU do with those error reports
« on: February 26, 2004, 03:23:55 PM »
When ACAD crashes and you get the option to send the error report to Adesk do you?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 03:57:11 PM »
nope
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 04:02:31 PM »
I know I will regret this but since I got XP pro Acad has not……………….crashed.
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Craig

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 04:27:27 PM »
Nope, not me but My Autocad hasn't crashed [crossing fingers]. I have had some other software crash and hit Don't Send everytime

t-bear

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 05:12:47 PM »
This system is so lame that if I took the time to write Adork :choke:  every time it went down, I'd get nothing done.  Usually 4-5 times a day...usually with a zoom-pan.  Been like that for since the "up"grade from 14 & no one at Adork :choke:  or my re-seller can finger it out.....I've learned to live with it :fart:  & the secretairy's learned to plug her ears..... :yikes:

(I kinda LIKE the new e-motor-cons)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 05:23:23 PM »
Bear, ive heard of that problem.  ...*thinking* What ver. you on again? 02?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

TR

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 07:53:25 PM »
If it's 2000i I think it can be fixed by installing a service pack.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 08:17:50 PM »
I haven't had an Autocad crash in over 5 years. Another reason not to throw away R14?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 11:10:26 PM »
I frequently have crashes, but I have never had the opportunity present itself to notify Autodesk. If I was given that opportunity I would not do it. WHY you ask??
Well, I am glad you asked.... let me tell you!

Two reasons mainly.....

1. Software developers have been gathering information about what makes programs crash ever since there were computers. It makes for a better program. HOWEVER, as is now prevalent in the corporate world today (and as Autodesk has already proven to me) Any bugs that are found are arbitrarily fixed and ... can we say R14 ??? Yes R14 was in fact the replacement for R13 because it was so buggy, I remember seeing statements at Autodesk's web site around that time frame that went something like this:
  Problem: AutoCAD crashes whenever I do this...
  Solution: This problem has been addressed in the latest version. Upgrading to R14 will solve this issue.

and...

Of the many reasons why it is beneficial to upgrade to R14 is that there have been numerous bug fixes for problems found in R13.....

Hell they should have given EVERYONE who purchased R13 a free upgrade because it was so bad.

2. The current version of AutoCAD will run $2700 per license, or there about. Multiply that times the number of LEGAL users worldwide, and tell me if they cannot afford to effectively alpha test, beta test etc..... basically, if I am going to be their omega tester, I feel I should be compensated, perhaps with a reduced cost seat?

3. Well ok I only said 2 but this one is so important I didn't think it should be left out....
 I don't trust the corporate world. I am never sure what information I am sending them, so I send them nothing.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

M-dub

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 08:14:33 AM »
Every once in a while I do...but only from Work...Never from home.  Don't know why....paranoia maybe?  (What else is being sent?)

t-bear

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 10:57:32 AM »
Keith wrote:
[/quote]The current version of AutoCAD will run $2700 per license, or there about. Multiply that times the number of LEGAL users worldwide, and tell me if they cannot afford to effectively alpha test, beta test etc.....

I agree, there is too much avarice in todays business world.  everything is pointed toward the bottom line, rather than producing a usable product.  We see this especially in areas where a corporation has a "lock" on a product or service....Micro$oft....AutoDork.....  They don't feel a need to produce a decient product.  The customer has to take what's offered in order to continue functioning. Unfortunatly this has a trickle-down effect....kids today don't have the work ethic they did twenty-thirty years ago.  I see it all the time in the "applicants" I get through here.
Damn....I'm ramblin' again..... :oops:

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 11:46:57 AM »
Hey t-bear,

Take a look at this thread......maybe it will help your pan crashes.

http://www.cadalog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=16131&highlight=crash

Ron :D

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

t-bear

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 05:29:07 PM »
Ron...
What's "whiparc"?  Sounds like something my wife'd be into on a Saturday night... :yikes:
Seriously, I've not heard of it.  I know, I know...where's the Bear been all these years?  Hidin' in the woods,  :dood: !!!!
How dsoes it effect pan-n-zoom?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 09:57:24 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
Ron...
What's "whiparc"?  Sounds like something my wife'd be into on a Saturday night... :yikes:
Seriously, I've not heard of it.  I know, I know...where's the Bear been all these years?  Hidin' in the woods,  :dood: !!!!
How dsoes it effect pan-n-zoom?

Whiparc controls the display of arcs and circles as either true arcs and circles or as vectorized representations (probably as defined by viewres but not documented as such). Interestingly enough, the issue with pan-n-zoom and Whiparc becomes intriguing when you see the newest system variable in 2004. Whipthread controls whether or not the pan-n-zoom process is handled by a single processor on multiple processor machines or if it is delegated to a different processor. This makes me think that perhaps the pan-n-zoom process thread somehow has an inherent error that makes the processor generate a fatal error when a graphics update is required while panning and zooming. Mind you, I cannot prove this theory, but it sure fits the bill...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

t-bear

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 02:48:59 PM »
OK...so it's an integral part of CAD.....Hmmmmmmm.  I thought it might be some kinda add-on.  I gotta learn AutoCAD some day!
I'm on 2000i, might be "up"gradin to 2k4 in a couple-a months.  Solo processor, so I might STILL have this freakin problem? I really don't need to hear this!  My "owners" are startin' construction on a new plant & offices for the Co. this summer.... gettin more $$$ out of them's gonna be like pullin' hens teeth......
Ahhhhh, a day in the life of a CADdin' fool.......