Author Topic: Automating Plan & Profile Updates  (Read 4693 times)

tcdan

Automating Plan & Profile Updates
« on: July 04, 2005, 06:15:45 AM »
Hey guys - I'm working for a civil company working primarily with water.  I'm new to this work, so I'm going to spell things out a little because I don't know all the lingo yet  :oops:.

OVERVIEW
I'm creating a plan and profile for a ~7 mile long pipeline.  This requires creating an alignment in profile view with lots of annotations noting turns, air release valves, and other features along the pipeline.  These annotations must include the station number the annotation is referring to, for example "ARV Sta. 10+00".  In profile view I need to create a polyline of the ground level as well as a pipeline drawn >4 feet below the ground.  This pipeline must include many of the same annotations - but my boss likes some of them placed on the grid itself where the polylines are drawn and other annotations outside of the grid.  OK, I'll show you a couple simplified pics:

PLAN VIEW

PROFILE VIEW

PROBLEM
I drew the route, and now my boss wants me to make a couple minor changes in how the pipeline is laid out!!  Little does he know this could take hours of tedious changes in every annotation (keep in mind 7 miles of this stuff and the whole profile view being shifted and changed).  Kind of a boring project to be honest (although there's a lot more to it).

SOLUTION?
1.  I want to automate as much of the correction process as possible for future use.  But I don't want to reinvent the wheel if something's already out there.  So I thought I could write a LISP that automatically updates the station number of moved annotations based on the distance of the annotation along the polyline.  I think this could be done by blocking the annotations and creating attributes that update themselves based on the distance of the block's insertion, the leader, from the start of the alignment.  Of course, the insertion point of the block would need to be on the line.

2.  Write a LISP that reads in data from an excel file and then creates the polyline and annotations at fixed stations above the grid in profile view.  Excel columns needed: elevations with corresponding station numbers (2 columns) and station numbers of annotations (several columns).  Even just creating the polyline from an excel file would be cool.

HELP?
Any better ideas??  I have thought out a little bit of code which I'll post later, but it would be really great if the LISP experts could help me out with it - I've never written an entire LISP before.  Maybe I'll post in the LISP forum then.

Happy fourth! :dood:

Dinosaur

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 11:36:14 AM »
I think the sheet manager provided with LDDT will do this for you, but I have never used this feature to confirm.

tcdan

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 11:11:06 AM »
Quote from: Dinosaur
I think the sheet manager provided with LDDT will do this for you, but I have never used this feature to confirm.

I have no idea how the sheet manager could do this - anybody?

tcdan

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 11:11:46 AM »
I'm going to post my LISP in the AutoLISP forum - take a look if anybody knows LISP please.

Dinosaur

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 12:53:37 PM »
Just for clarification, I am referring to the Sheet Manager pulldown area within LDDT, not the sheetset manager from vanilla AutoCAD.
In theory, you can define a sheet style that will annotate your plan and profile areas to display the current information in your database when you generate a sheet.  In addition, you can specify the type of information displayed and control its style and properties.  That said, I still have no idea how to set this all up.  We could not find a profile style that would be compatable with our standard titleblocks and sheet setup.

tcdan

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 01:17:38 PM »
I am referring to the Sheet Manager pulldown area within LDDT

If the sheet manager comes with LDD, where would it be?  I thought that was for Civil CAD?

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 01:29:21 PM »
It could be that it is a part of the Civil Design menus.  I don't work out of the LDD menu - I just checked it and couldn't find it either.  I guess you need the  Civil Design modules to use it.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 11:15:58 AM »
how about civil 3d......
Civil3D 2020