Author Topic: Point Editing in C3D 2010  (Read 2009 times)

tcopeland

Point Editing in C3D 2010
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:58:05 PM »
I am trying to update a few survey points that were miss coded and the line work is looking a little funky.  Here is what process I go through:  I select the point that is coded incorrectly, then right click on the point and edit the survey properties I can then change the code to reflect what it should be.  When I get done with the edits C3D asks me if I want to update the line work.  I then say OK.

Now to the question I am wondering is how can I update the original survey file to reflect the changes?  Or does C3D automatically update the original data file when you save the changes while editing the points in the drawing.

Also along with this is there a way to automatically update the line work as you are making the edits to the points.  I suppose that would be to much to ask for huh!!

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: Point Editing in C3D 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
Now to the question I am wondering is how can I update the original survey file to reflect the changes?  Or does C3D automatically update the original data file when you save the changes while editing the points in the drawing.

We don't use the survey stuff here but, I'm guessing you don't want C3D to edit the original field data files.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

tcopeland

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 03:44:43 PM »
I should have corrected the statement to say the copied survey file and not the original survey file.  We don't want to edit the original data by any means.  I was just hoping that when I did make the edits it would save back to the file we had imported. 

Thanks for catching this though.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 04:04:52 PM »

One might select the option to export all of your edited line work as an Fieldbook, as that option exists.

Or export it again as a TXT file.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:14:33 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

tcopeland

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:41:56 AM »
One might select the option to export all of your edited line work as an Fieldbook, as that option exists.

I did try to export out the fieldbook but it was the same as the file I imported.  Now I did just notice that there are two different locations to export the field book.  One under the network that was created and the other under figures.  The one that I tried was under the network I created and that did not work.  I now that exporting the text file of the edited points would suffice.

I did go and try the exporting of the fieldbook through the figures section.  It does work but it also adds in the linework.  If they do not want to see that I can delete it out of the file and they would then have an updated text file with just the points.

Thanks for the help

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
I am trying to update a few survey points that were miss coded and the line work is looking a little funky.  Here is what process I go through:  I select the point that is coded incorrectly, then right click on the point and edit the survey properties I can then change the code to reflect what it should be.  When I get done with the edits C3D asks me if I want to update the line work.  I then say OK.

Now to the question I am wondering is how can I update the original survey file to reflect the changes?  Or does C3D automatically update the original data file when you save the changes while editing the points in the drawing.

Also along with this is there a way to automatically update the line work as you are making the edits to the points.  I suppose that would be to much to ask for huh!!

I have always backed up the text file and used a handy Text Editor that is free that has some awesome features like block edit and more, called Textpad from the people across the pond. It is free if you don't mind the splash or spend a few dinaro's (sp) and enjoy a very nice text editor, it even has a dictionary/spell checker. But, you know no matter where you go the survey data collection will always be or have edits to be made at some point in time.

MJP
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:37:44 AM by sourdoug »
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:28:34 PM »
There is no need to edit MOST survey data, once the crew understands the proper coding sequence.
There is also no need to purchase any editor for this, as simply exporting the edited point data, to a new TXT file effectively creates the NEW field to finish file, without harming the original survey data.
And no need to back up the TXT file as the surveyor would or should always have access to the RAW data file should the need arise to go back to the original unedited data.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/