Author Topic: Description Key Parameters  (Read 1709 times)

tcopeland

Description Key Parameters
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »
Newbie questions here again, :-D

I had been in the process of starting to set up my description key files when I found out the hard way that 2009 doesn't open up or is not recognized within 2008 software, when it comes to desc files.  :x  Now that I will need to start this process over in 2008 so it can be used with others, I thought that it would be prudent to ask about the setting up of parameters for the desc key codes.  I tried to make headway through the help files but ended up getting more confused, than actually helping.  :-o

Long story short, I have managed to set up the feature codes to bring in the symbol and labels that I want, but I would like to have line work drawn in when those particular codes are entered in.  I know that I will need to have a code to get the linework started, but unsure how to set it up.  I'm used to Mircrostation where all of it was taken care of and I never had to set anything up.

I would like to also have a code for a DNC (Do not contour).  Sometimes we want to take shots on items that we do not want to have contoured.  An example would be a water valve that is 2 feet in the air.  For accuracy you would shoot the top of the valve, but you would want to exclude this from the surface.  Is there a way to set that up in the parameters for this code?

One last item (I probably should have broken this up three ways).  Is there a way to have the codes that are not in the list or mistyped show up in a certain color and 5 times larger than the others?

Thanks for the help in advance,

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Description Key Parameters
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 11:02:24 AM »
First you will probably want to watch the video found on my tutorials page.

www.primeservicesglobal.com Go to the tutorials page, and look for The Point of Description Keys.

Then you will need to set up your Figure Styles (Settings Tab)
Then set up your Description Key database (Survey Tab)

then when you A) create a survey database B)create a New Network under that Database, you can then C) Import the FBK file and it will draw your line work for you as desired.

As to Excluding points from the Terrain Model my advice to my students is; Create a TOPO, or SURFACE point group right in your template file, it should contain ONLY the point descriptions for the data you want in your surface model.
Also Right inside your template an EG surface that has that point group already added to it, such that within moments of importing your field book you simply Update the point group, and then Rebuild the EG surface and it already to go already.

As to the mis-coded data I think it easier to to leave them alone and they will come in with the Standard point , and label style and you can find them that way.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:06:21 AM »
Todd,

I haven't tried this; however I think you could take the figure Preference information from the All Users folder, and copy it from the 2008 to the 2009 installation and it would then read the 'old' figure preference file. Backup what ever files you plan to replace first of course.  Although it sounds like you will benefit from the practice of making them again.  :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

tcopeland

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »
I did go to the website earlier last month and went through the process of creating the Description points.  That was very helpful.  :-D  This is also when I noticed that the files would not open in an earlier version of C3D.   :-(  :realmad:

I need to start working on the linework side of things now, setting up the database and other parameters.  This is also something that I will need to work on through trial and error.  Or any other assistance would be great!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »
check your in-box the FBK exercise.pdf from the forthcoming PIRATE 3D manual should be landing there shortly.
I'm still working on format and some content issues. did you try exporting LandXML of those points, and then importing into the earlier version, I think that takes the description keys along with it, so you would need at least one point for each description in the output file.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

tcopeland

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
Thanks!! This will help out greatly.    :-D

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »
Thanks!! This will help out greatly.    :-D

You have a couple of FBK files there to look at and test in your CLASS FILES folder.
Further should this be an actual 'line coding' issue I may need to come out there and and put hands on that survey instrument so that the actual process in the field is correct, so that it works with your figure prefix.
Otherwise you will be spending quite a lot of effort trying to edit your data to get the lines to draw correctly.
I like S.D. in the Fall  :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

tcopeland

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »
Michael,

I just went and checked out the thread you started on the Pirate C3D.  That sounds like it would be good to have a copy of that when you get it completed.  :-) (I couln't find a pirate smiley :-()

Also I believe that we may be coming to Siuox Falls later on, I'm not sure if it will be this fall or early in the spring like this last year.  We'll see how things go.