Author Topic: Pipes and Loop Subdivisions  (Read 1534 times)

tazzvon

Pipes and Loop Subdivisions
« on: February 06, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »
I am trying to see if civil 3d 2008 has yet fixed the problems i have always had running a loop subdivision. (ie. alignment starts at 1+00 runs up loops around and intersects itself so end station 23+52 is the same as 9+55) Anyway, the problems i have always had is 1) if you put a manhole @ sta 7+00 then run a pipe to the intersection and place a manhole at the intersect but on the end of the alignment then continue to sta 12+00 it causes big problems in the profile view. it wants to stick the manhole on sta 23+50 instead of 9+55 w/offset. I know this is because it uses the northing easting instead of the sta/offset but is there a work around or fix one? 2) If i use same scenario but put the manhole on the opposite side of the intersection from the spur road it salves the previous problem but then i want to tie a manhole from sta 20+00 to manhole at intersect. Once again it puts the manhole in the profile at sta 20+00 but runs the pipe all the way back to the manhole at sta 9+55 instead of just eliminating it and putting an ellipse (hole) in the side of the 9+55 manhole.

Where can i get answers to this?

I really want to use this pipe network system but we do a lot of these style subdivisions and i can't see fighting it all the time.

Dinosaur

Re: Pipes and Loop Subdivisions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:32:58 AM »
I am not sure if there is a good way to generate this automatically, but 2008 DOES allow for the editing of the label values to whatever you want it to be.  Be advised that many edited labels will revert to original values with any changes to the alignment or profile.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Pipes and Loop Subdivisions
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:32:03 PM »
I think part of this may be a change in the choice of tools one has to draw the pipe networks. I suggest that use of the (Select) parts to draw, i.e. picking each network component to place in the profile view, instead of placing the entire network one has better control.

And the other side is the Strength and Weakness of a true 3d model of ones pipes. Where it is projecting the pipe, is most likely technically correct, if one were to look at an isometric view of the network, however drafting convention dictates otherwise.  One may need to resort to 'trickery' and define a label style, that inserts an ellipse and what ever else you would like to see instead of the pipe 3D projects.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/