Author Topic: Dimstyle versus Dimscale  (Read 3951 times)

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« on: March 09, 2005, 02:29:25 PM »
Hi,

I have a dimstyle called "DIMSTD"
if i change the overall scale with DIMSCALE
this will created a "DIMSTD mofied"

why ?

How can i change the dimscale wothout affecting the DIMSTYLE ?

thanks.
Keep smile...

CADaver

Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 02:44:48 PM »
PLaced dimensions are controlled by their dimstyle, editting an existing dimstyle (and updating) will modify existing dimensions that use that style.  To avoid such, we have a unique dimstyle for each dimscale.

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 05:33:47 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
PLaced dimensions are controlled by their dimstyle, editting an existing dimstyle (and updating) will modify existing dimensions that use that style.  To avoid such, we have a unique dimstyle for each dimscale.

can't create a dimstyle for each dimscale...this will make an incredible list..

because we use a program to calculate the scale factor depending if METRIC or IMPERIAL and auto adjust the scale depending also if we are in an MVIEW or not or... TILEMODE 1 or TILEMODE 0... and convert the scale depending also the scale of the drawing...1/4", 1/32"  or 1:100  1:50

see ?  

This program create a variable "X" and i have put this variable for TEXTSIZE, CELTSCALE, INSERT MODE, etc... it work very well..

BUT with DIMSCALE this make me a different DIMSTYLE...and the scale is not applied.
Keep smile...

CADaver

Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:52:50 PM »
Quote from: Andrea
can't create a dimstyle for each dimscale...this will make an incredible list..{/quoye]Create only the styles you need as you need them by concatenating the standard dimstyle name with the desird dimscale ina dimscaleset routine.

This program create a variable "X" and i have put this variable for TEXTSIZE, CELTSCALE, INSERT MODE, etc... it work very well..

BUT with DIMSCALE this make me a different DIMSTYLE...and the scale is not applied.
That would be the perfect place for a couple of lines of code that create the new dimstyle named based on scale.

If you don't mind command usage, something like this:
Code: [Select]
(setq dscale (getvar "dimscale"))
(if (setq ndscale (getdist (strcat "Enter New DIMSCALE <" (rtos dscale) ">: ")))
(setq dscale ndscale))
(command ".dim1" "dimscale" dscale)
(command ".dim1" "save" (strcat "dimstd-" dscale) "y")

sinc

Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 12:57:44 PM »

can't create a dimstyle for each dimscale...this will make an incredible list..

I had the same problem.  I agree that creating versions of each DIMSTYLE for each drawing scale is pretty bogus, and unacceptable.

I've found the best solution for us is to use TEXTSTYLEs with height 0 in DIMSTYLES.  (The Scale on the Fit tab in the DIMSTYLE is set to 1.)  Then the height of the text comes from the text height in the DIMSTYLE.  This makes the text scale correctly with the rest of the dimension, according to the Scale override that Autocad applies.  As long as you then have your project scale set accordingly, then you can go ahead and let Autocad apply the override, and everything works fine.  No need to create versions of each DIMSTYLE for each drawing scale.

The only problem then is putting dimensions in paper space.  In order to do that, the scale should be at 1, not at the drawing scale.  So, you need to cancel the automatic override that Autocad puts on the dimstyle, or manually set the override back to 1.

Once I started using the automatic Fit override instead of fighting it, I discovered that Autocad is actually pretty flaky about when it applies the override.  If you manually switch DIMSTYLES, the new override is not applied until you run certain other commands.  I've since taken to starting up the LDD "Label Settings" command right after I switch DIMSTYLEs.  This causes the Fit override to be applied from the drawing scale the way I want it.

I agree that this functionality is not well-thought-out  on Autodesk's part.  I tried posting something to that effect on the AUGI forum, and the big guys over there thought I didn't know what I was talking about.  They just kept telling me to create versions of every DIMSTYLE at every drawing scale, and didn't seem to understand why I didn't like that solution.

CADaver

Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 02:09:47 PM »
Quote from: sinc
I agree that creating versions of each DIMSTYLE for each drawing scale is pretty bogus, and unacceptable.
You don't need one "for each drawing scale", you only need the ones used on that drawing.  When properly automated it is totally invisible to the user.

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 01:50:21 PM »

The only problem then is putting dimensions in paper space.

I'm glad to see that i'm not alone thinking this..

Sinc,

Few year ago..i have writed a lisp to create and calculate the "X" variable.

The variable "X" detect the scale factor of any drawings, Paper or Model,....

also  it detect and adjust the variable depending the scale of any MviewPort,

And finally... the special think is..that the "X" variable detect also the Units Value.."METRIC" or "IMPERIAL"...and readjust by 25.4 or 0.03937.

we use this variable at large...in our company
for block insertion, text, linetype scale...etc...

and it work well even with the DIMSCALE...the problem is when the DIMSCALE was changed..the DIMSTYLE create a new DIMSTYLE (modified).....and chage the override options.

don't need that I want a drawing...as clean as possible.
Keep smile...

CADaver

Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 04:24:15 PM »
Quote from: sinc
They just kept telling me to create versions of every DIMSTYLE at every drawing scale, and didn't seem to understand why I didn't like that solution.
Why not?  It's simple, it's clean, and it can't noodle up dimensions that have already been placed.

CADaver

Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 04:28:27 PM »
...the problem is when the DIMSCALE was changed..the DIMSTYLE create a new DIMSTYLE (modified).....and chage the override options.
That is not a problem, that is how it should work.  If you change something about the dimstyle (including dimscale) you have a modified dimstyle.

...don't need that I want a drawing...as clean as possible.
Is an arbitrary choice, that provides no advantage, and stands between you and a simple solution.

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 10:39:05 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
That is not a problem, that is how it should work.  If you change something about the dimstyle (including dimscale) you have a modified dimstyle.

:?  Not sure...

The dimscale is a general setting for all dimstyle..
if you change the dimscale all scale of each dimstyle will be changed.
it's like the LTSCALE variable..but for dimensions.

there is an exemple...
If you create a dimstyle..."MYSTYLE" and change your dimscale..
you will found the "MYSTYLE" modified...
so if you came back to "MYSTYLE" and set it current..

the DIMSCALE will be the same....so is not part of the DIMSTYLE.
Keep smile...

CADaver

Dimstyle versus Dimscale
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 10:51:14 AM »
Not in R2002.  DIMSCALE is saved with the style under the FIT tab in DDIM "Use Overall Scale Of: ___".  When a style is restored, the scale is as well, cancelling any overrides currently in place.

If this has changed in later releases, I'll be considerably peeved.