Author Topic: Shall I swap mine  (Read 3331 times)

hyposmurf

Shall I swap mine
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:56:02 AM »
Right I have a choice of another PC trying to work out if its worth reinstalling my software and using it..Heres my current spec:
HP Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz
1GB RAM
40GB hard drive
VGA compatible video controller(shows up as yellow exclamtion mark in driver setion,maybe this needs to be installed)cant find out what MB it is,maybe on board video card

Possible new PC:
Systemax Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz
480GB RAM(maybe able to swap over 512MB of RAM to this PC from my current one)
60GB hard drive
VIA S3G unichrome IGP 32MB

I dont do any 3d work just fairly intensive 2D work using lots of XREFS and layers.
Need to work out whether I want to swap witihn next 20mins :?

CADaver

Re: Shall I swap mine
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 08:01:43 AM »
480GB ram???  Surely you meant M??  If so, IMMHO, stay with the big RAM.  RAM makes a bigger difference in functional speed than does CPU clock speed.

hyposmurf

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:13:09 AM »
Yep I meant MB.If I cant get the RAM over Ill buy myself some more.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 09:41:13 AM »
Can you take the best of both puters and put that into the more efficient cooler case?

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:42:47 AM »
Hypo,

I second CAB's answer...
there are some more points to have a look for:
- OnBoard VGA mostly use RAM from main board -> better to use a good (medium power) plug-in card.
- HDD's can be a real break in a system -> use EIDE, SATA or better SCSI with low medium access time
- Bad system architecture (most in low cost PCs) can remarkable slow down your system -> use quality PCs and/or components
- Finally SW/HW conflicts (see your VGA driver) can make your system unstable and slow -> use a tool to check the system
A computer's human touch is its unscrupulousness!
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
Current A2k16... A2k24 - Start R2.18

craigr

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 12:19:21 PM »
I wouldn't bother with the change.

It takes me a couple of days just to set up all of the software on my machine each time. - Too much hassle for the minimal upgrades.

craigr

hyposmurf

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:46:16 PM »
well I went for it anyway have been having numerous problems when using CAD.Still not entirely sure if its server/PC hardware/PC software issues problems.Ive added my old RAM to this system so its up to 1GB,seems a little faster but Im only running AutoCAD LT rather than my usual ADT 2007,so wont truely know until I have this reinstalled.The exclamation mark that I saw was what I thought it was,the dam video card driver for my PC had not been installed, this couldve been responsible for alot of problems. :roll: Anyway IT bloke has now installed this and my old PC is off to some other poor user.
So now I think I have a 32MB video card,but this is very low spec.Do you think this even too low spec to use on 2D drawings that are around 1mb in size with about say 7 xrefs loaded,300-400 layers?Even my PC at home is 64MB :-o.So I have a low spec video card and thus my PC will take memory from my RAM as well to make up for my crap video card when working in AutoCAD drawings?I might habve to purchase this myself together with the memory I bought before.It's unlikely anyone will understand why a higher spec video card is required. :-(
This is what Autodesk recommend:
Video: 1024 x 768 with True Color (minimum)
but that just tells me about resolution not any guide of video card MB's. :roll:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 04:03:58 PM by hyposmurf »

craigr

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 03:54:43 PM »
32mb video card!! I didn't know you could still buy them!

I have heard MANY people talk about the need for a 'good' video card for CAD. Even trade magazines that advertise Video Cards, usually mention CAD along with various games.

I'd strongly request a better video card. I'm not sure, but I would think the video card is more important than the system RAM.

craigr

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »
I wouldn't stress out too much about the video setup if you are not working with 3D or running with  multiple huge monitors at high resolution.  I can run 15-20mb drawings Civil 3D (despite the name it is NOT true 3D) with an on-board 32mb S3 video with no problems in performance.

craigr

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 08:15:48 AM »
I wouldn't stress out too much about the video setup if you are not working with 3D or running with multiple huge monitors at high resolution.  I can run 15-20mb drawings Civil 3D (despite the name it is NOT true 3D) with an on-board 32mb S3 video with no problems in performance.

That's what I figured a few years ago, as we do strictly 2D, but I got the opportunity to add a second monitor & Upgrade my existing 32MB card & it made a big difference in navigating around CAD. My machine is smoother when panning & redrawing.

Just my 2 cents,

craigr

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 08:59:33 AM »
(despite the name it is NOT true 3D)

Of course it isn't...you're working on a 2d screen.   :evil:

hyposmurf

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 05:32:15 PM »
Ive noticed on my 19" flat screen that its joggy when I zoom in and out,that there is a slight flicker when looking at thre text.Maybe its just interference and Im getting used to just going from a CRT screen to a much larger TFTor maybe it is a video card problem. :?

craigr

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 08:32:19 AM »
I have learned throughout my 45 years, that sometimes the old adage 'If it works, don't fix it' holds alot of weigt.

This is pretty tough for a 'newer / bigger is better' type of guy. I have regretted my upgrades many times, in many areas of my life. (PCs, vehicles, girls, etc....)  :wink:

craigr

hyposmurf

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 02:24:30 PM »
Well when I had my last PC I had nothing but trouble,it was worth just trying to see if there will be any improvement with this other PC.I'll just hold my fingers and hope this PC is fine and thanks for all your help.

sinc

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 10:30:29 AM »
This is what Autodesk recommend:
Video: 1024 x 768 with True Color (minimum)
but that just tells me about resolution not any guide of video card MB's. :roll:

Somewhere in Autodesk's recommendations, they tell you the basic 3D requirements for 2007 are 128MB RAM and OpenGL compatibility.  Of course, some cards that fit those specs don't work correctly, especially when it comes to grips working correctly.  Autodesk just says that those cards "are for gaming", and recommends you get serious.   ;-)

hyposmurf

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 07:42:21 PM »
My old PC has been passed to another department.One thing I noticed before it was semnt off was that the network driver seemed to be showing up as not available.The recipient after me maoned that it didnt work though the network seemed slow.Its now been passed on again to another bloke who's moaning its so slow.What a breath of fresh air to get rid of that thing.