Author Topic: My first opinion on 2007 3D  (Read 2840 times)

Tramber

My first opinion on 2007 3D
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:57:52 PM »
Why the cut plan is rendered ?
What about the logical way to assign material through color, consequently to logical colors ?
What about solid grips-editing. the new deforming capabilities are nice but it becomes simply impossible to move objects with grips ? It was so practicle.
Where is my 3DSOUT command ? I'm not happy to have to deal with exploding (planar faces give no surfaces but a region, a nightmare to get good 3DS objects from Acad, it has the to be CONVTOSURFACEd [a feature I was very enthousiastic until I knew it]).

Too bad, because, althought it is now an obligation to have a super machine, Acad 2007 has a lot of nice features, indeed  :oops:

t-bear

Re: My first opinion on 2007 3D
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:16:20 AM »
Thanks Bert.....I'll probably be upgrading (does that term apply to this?!?  :roll:) from 2K4 this fall.  Got a lot of catching up to do...
BTW...have you played with loft and sweep?  How intuitive is it, or is it typically clunky? :pissed:

Tramber

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 02:01:30 PM »
.have you played with loft and sweep?  How intuitive is it, or is it typically clunky? :pissed:

I must say that it works great ! See, you don't have to put the profile on a specific plane. Only the position of the path is important. That's very good. AutoCAD 2007 allowed me to extrude quite a quantity of strange objects both in surfaces or solids (depending if the profile is closed or not).

I was talking about Zweep, didn't have the time to test loft, but I'm not sure it is so powerful. I'll tell you later on.

Tramber

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 02:09:44 PM »
I'm sorry, LOFT is magic in fact !

t-bear

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 02:14:40 PM »
Thanks young'n....much appreciated info.  now to sell the "dark ones"...... :pissed: :realmad: :pissed:..... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Cavediver

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 05:40:34 PM »
Why the cut plan is rendered ?
What about the logical way to assign material through color, consequently to logical colors ?
What about solid grips-editing. the new deforming capabilities are nice but it becomes simply impossible to move objects with grips ? It was so practical.
Where is my 3DSOUT command ? I'm not happy to have to deal with exploding (planar faces give no surfaces but a region, a nightmare to get good 3DS objects from Acad, it has the to be CONVTOSURFACEd [a feature I was very enthousiastic until I knew it]).

Too bad, because, although it is now an obligation to have a super machine, Acad 2007 has a lot of nice features, indeed  :oops:

Well, looks like I will be upgrading to 2007 sometime in the next two weeks.   As I do a lot of 3d, I was wondering if you found a way around the grips issue or if you had to adapt your drawing style.

Now that you've had a bit of time to work with 2007, are you happy with it?

daron

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 09:52:14 AM »
You can still "move" pick point and coordinate entry @0,0,n and move the object in 3d. The grip stretch is nice until you change the basic form of the 3d model, then you get no grips.

Tramber

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »
Cadediver, this is my way with grip-editing (the problem appears with solids made with 2007 not those you import) :

ALT+ select the grip but + 1 ENTER or SPACE
or
SHIFT + selection of 2 grips then it moves.

...not very practical when you ve been using 3D since 2000 and when grip editing became an habit or an obligation 'cause you don't know the coordinates  :realmad:
It was so easy and fast in the past.

To answer you about the question if I'm happy or not :

I'm using a quite huge developpements of my own and it works under 2004 or 6 (I design 3D [expensive] metalic stairs). I don't need the functionnalities of 2007 (some are brilliant, I must be honest).

• I don't need and don't like the new rendering mode (you know like cartoons) because I'm using the Penguin rendering engine
  • I've been late to use 2007 because of ObjectDCL with which I made my programms and also because of the power I need in the graphic-card and I don't have
  • I'm missing cruelly 3DSOUT because it is a fundament in some exports to Blender and some other softs that I sometime need to do
  • I almost never edit my solids, they are generated by my programs, by hand it would be different, I would love 2007
  • I'm pissed off (is that correct, I learnt english at school  :evil: )because the renderings materials can't react any more with colors, I would have to change so much in my code !)[/i]
    • Last and not least, 3DDWF is a catastrophic command with multi nested 3D blocks in dwgs under X-Ref compare to the brilliant 3DDWFPUBLISH of 2006.
      ....and for me it is an another catastroph

So you see, I'm not the best to ask. I maybe am the most critical (and unlucky) about 2007 on this planet.

If you have a (very) good graphic-card and don't share my needs then don't be afraid  :lmao:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:20:14 PM by Call me Bert' »

Cavediver

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »
So you see, I'm not the best to ask. I maybe am the most critical (and unlucky) about 2007 on this planet.
If you have a (very) good graphic-card and don't share my needs then don't be afraid  :lmao:
Well, thanks anyway (you too daren).  I appreciate the responses, I guess we'll see what it has to offer.

We're looking at hardware updates in January.  I was hoping for a 2nd monitor, but I guess the $ will go towards a better card.