Author Topic: Justifying the Upgrade  (Read 14439 times)

deegeecees

Re: Justifying the Upgrade
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »
Just because I use 2000, it doesn't mean to say I don't do 3d.
Oh no doubt, we've been doing 3D since R9.  But just as R2000 3D tools were much better than the R12 3D tools, the R2008 3D tools are much much MUCH better than the R2000 tools.

Ever used AME (Advanced Modeling Extension) for R.11? Once you created a solid, that was it. No way to manipulate it once it was created. Cut alot of teeth on that one.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2007, 02:33:32 PM »
Well, here goes nothin'
2000, R14 and for good measure, R13 (because someone here still uses it!)

Again they worked fine.
Did you open the converted file and do a save as?
What did they look like on you end?
Was the table exploded?

MO is that the upgrade is well worth the money.  Heck plot page setups and saving projects to places in the file open dialog promotes consistent plotting and saves time in drilling to files every time.  Sometimes the simple bells and whistles are more value the big shinny stuff. 

ooohh I forgot being able to hatch separate objects in one dialoge session and end up with separate hatches.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

CADaver

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »
Just because I use 2000, it doesn't mean to say I don't do 3d.
Oh no doubt, we've been doing 3D since R9.  But just as R2000 3D tools were much better than the R12 3D tools, the R2008 3D tools are much much MUCH better than the R2000 tools.

Ever used AME (Advanced Modeling Extension) for R.11? Once you created a solid, that was it. No way to manipulate it once it was created. Cut alot of teeth on that one.
Didn't use it fro R11, but we used the snot out of for R12.  It had several slicing tools that helped a lot.

M-dub

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2007, 02:39:04 PM »
Was the table exploded?

Well, that's one thing... I didn't even SEE the table.

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're looking at?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2007, 02:43:13 PM »
Was the table exploded?

Enjoy
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:44:53 PM by Krushert »

CaddmannQ

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2007, 02:43:52 PM »
Cadaver, I meant that the software publishers have "almost got it worked out". We're not working on it at all. We do do some CAE in 3D, but for all it's fancy finite element generation and dynamic analysis, we find that the programs are cumbersome and demand compromises to make their use economical. (Or in some cases even possible.)

As for the "highly schematic" v. "dimensionally accurate" thing you have a point there. Each has it's own place in our work, and for some purposes we do "cheat" so that things will resolve at the chosen scale. On the other hand, plans are drawn with accurate dimensions where other dimensions need to be generated from those plans.

A very typical situation with clients is where they've drawn a wall to nominal thickness, and one side is the exterior face of the building, but on the other end of that building the opposite side becomes exterior. Obviously you cant give an accurate (and associative) dimension to both sides of such a wall if it's thickness is only nominal.

Most of our clients are of the opinion that the "mistake" is too little to worry about, as "they work that stuff out in the field." But it makes it dang hard to do geometrical constructions on a plan if you have that sort of inacuracy.

OTOH There are certain things we never bother to draw to scale. What's important is that the function be clearly displayed once the drawing is plotted. I don't care what size a nail really is, but if it spikes two pieces of lumber together it better look like it does on the plot. If I have to exagerate the thickness of a shim so it shows up, no problem, so long as the function is clear.  The location of a ledger is cheated on a plan so it doesn't "blend" with the wall. This doesn't matter since everyone knows a ledger goes directly on the wall. (The location of the wall, however, must be accurate to avoid compounding errors as the drawing geometry is constructed.) In such respects, our drawings are "highly schematic".

M-dub

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2007, 02:45:53 PM »
Well, that's interesting.  We don't even get the table after the conversion.  I mean, that doesn't really surprise me, but like you said, you'd maybe expect it to come across, albeit exploded.

Anyway, I'm still going to use this for some degree of justification.  We'll see what happens... if anything.

CaddmannQ

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »
Was the table exploded?

Hmmm...
I see the table just fine in r2000. It's a proxy entity which I can't manipulate the values in. I can explode it, but it becomes primatives.

M-dub

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »
Was the table exploded?

Hmmm...
I see the table just fine in r2000. It's a proxy entity which I can't manipulate the values in. I can explode it, but it becomes primatives.
That just makes it even weirder.  :| :?

This is what I see.  After converting from 2004 to 2000.  This is what it looks like after opening and zooming in a bit.

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2007, 03:02:34 PM »
So you've converted what started out as a 2007 drawing to 2004 then again down to 2000??

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2007, 03:05:07 PM »
So you've converted what started out as a 2007 drawing to 2004 then again down to 2000??
Describing my part in this,
a 2008 file that writes in 2007 language but I am telling it to save to 2004.  Then he converted it to whatever?

M-dub

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »

Well, according to TrueConvert, Krush's original dwg was in 2004.  Is this not correct?

Never mind...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 03:10:26 PM by M-dub »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2007, 03:11:02 PM »

Well, according to TrueConvert, Krush's original dwg was in 2004.  Is this not correct?
Try converting it as a 2008 drawing just for its and iggles

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2007, 03:14:03 PM »

Try converting it as a 2008 drawing just for its and iggles

...then save as R12 DXF, import into Microstation (AKA, Etch-A-Sketch CAD), save, then I'll import it into C3D and we'll see what we've got!

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2007, 03:17:45 PM »
What about the pour stop or the slope indicator.  just a dumb block I assume. 

Try playing with the slope indicator.  With it being dynamic you suppose to grab the upper point and adjust it heights and the text updates accordingly.  I don know, it not my block.  I create simple dynamic blocks like the pour stop.