Author Topic: C3D Point and Linework Move & Rotate  (Read 1437 times)

surveyor_randy

C3D Point and Linework Move & Rotate
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:51:27 AM »
We did a site on a localized datum and then later tied it into two county monuments.  We need to move and rotate our drawing to use the state plane coordinates from the county monuments.  First, we rotated the drawing and all points, then we moved everything from our local point to the known point.  I could not believe how long this process took.

It took 10 minutes to rotate about 1200 points and minor linework to the new azimuth and another 10 minutes to the same objects to the new basepoint.  That is ridiculous.  Is this just something that we need to live with or is there a better way to achieve this goal?

Thanks for any thoughts...

sinc

Re: C3D Point and Linework Move & Rotate
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »
There seem to be issues with moving and rotating points using the normal Autocad commands.  It can take a very long time.

I added MOVEPOINTS and ROTATEPOINTS commands to the Sincpac-C3D, and they work significantly faster - a set of points that might take 20 seconds with the Autocad MOVE command will move in less than a second with the Sincpac MOVEPOINTS command.

That doesn't help move linework, though.  With the dynamic nature of C3D, moving things can be a hairy proposition.  Sometimes everything moves just fine, sometimes there are issues.  We generally try to make sure everything is in the correct place before we get too far into a project, and so far we've been lucky enough that this strategy has worked, except for once.  And that one time, we were able to grab everything and rotate it with only minimal damage that didn't take too long to fix.

Since then, though, I've been shuddering over the thought of someday having a project with a number of drawings all linked together with lots of data references, and needing to adjust the coordinates (or even just the basis of bearings for the labels) for the entire project...   :-(

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »
I am a bad person. I told my surveyor to explode all the figures. and then flatten them and pedit and rejoin them. it works and he can rotate everything.

Any other ideas would be great.
Civil3D 2020

surveyor_randy

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »
sinc's tools work well in this instance.  Thanks Sinc!  Now all he needs to do is add an option to rotate linework along with the points! (hint! hint!)