Author Topic: Dwg Accuracy  (Read 4471 times)

Dinosaur

Re: Dwg Accuracy
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 07:52:46 PM »
It is amazing how much trouble is being reported here by highly skilled CAD operators while trying to use these things.  I seldom will have more than one osnap running and was not aware they could cause such trouble.  I think back on all of the problems I am seeing reported here and how drawings I receive from our engineers are full of these errors.  When I check, they are always saved with 4 or 5 different osnaps running . . . perhaps it is not completely sloppy drafting on their part after all.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 09:37:14 PM »
It is amazing how much trouble is being reported here by highly skilled CAD operators......

Hey don't leave me out  :-D
Yes it is surprising, I think I will try just rt click Osnap for awhile, then limit the Osnaps to one two and see if that makes any difference. From what folks have to say it doesn't sound like having 80% of them running is a good technique.
The offset distance still has me perplexed, but like mentioned, CAD maybe offsetting in the direction of a snap  :?
Thanks for all the input, keep em coming and I hope all had a great weekend!
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 09:46:14 PM »
Yes, I think you may be catching an osnap in the vicinity of where you are offsetting.  That is the only reasonable answer I have found so far when it happens to me.  I have gotten to the point I will only set a running osnap when I am using the labeling routines of LDT and I still have to check the results quite closely as the most useful (endpoint) will return a false label about 5% of the time.

CADaver

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 07:06:08 AM »
. . . perhaps it is not completely sloppy drafting on their part after all.
If you're not completely aware of what you're doing, including running osnaps, then it's sloppy drafting.

Jim Yadon

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 08:53:50 AM »
I've encountered the units problem a considerable amount and have, in the past, usually traced it down to one user having their units set different than others. The reasons for it have ranged from a LISP downloaded from AOL that the guy didn't understand the function of to someone who felt it was n't necessary to adhere to department standards. Thehatch boundary issue I've found is that not all of the objects will have a Z of 0. One gal we had working with us used to have stuff all over in Z even though she was drawing in '2d' and despised 3d work. this routinely caused us headaches both with hatching and with converting to PLines for CNC work.

Just my nickel for the morning.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 10:37:21 AM »
I've a question for you ACAD people....

When snapping to an entity in an xref, will it actually snap to the midpoint or intersection or what not of the xref entity?

How about if you snap to the endpoint that is cut off by the xref boundry?  Will it snap at that boundry line or where the actual endpoint is or just not snap to anything?

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 11:34:28 AM »
Apparently it snaps the same inside the boundary, but does not register anything outside the boundary of the clip
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Jim Yadon

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 04:54:37 PM »
I've a question for you ACAD people....

When snapping to an entity in an xref, will it actually snap to the midpoint or intersection or what not of the xref entity?

How about if you snap to the endpoint that is cut off by the xref boundry?  Will it snap at that boundry line or where the actual endpoint is or just not snap to anything?

I've never had an issue with it in 2k5. I can't recall back though.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »
I'm not asking the question as an issue.  I'm asking as a comparison.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 05:05:46 PM »
AutoCAD snaps to the actual endpoint of the line in a clipped xref, not the clipped endpoint in 2006 at any rate.

Jim Yadon

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 05:14:10 PM »
The last time I used a clipped XRef (with 2k or 2k2 as I recall), it behaved just like a when I grab a for snap on an object that resides inside a view port (which I do frequently), it grabbed the objects true end in relation to what I was viewing. I haven't used clipped XRefs since using 2k4 and I'm on 2k5 now.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »
sounds pretty universal then.

Jim Yadon

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 05:24:27 PM »
That would make sense. If I remember right from back in the R14 days, XRefs and Viewports are essentially the same thing with the data residing within the drawing in the viewport instance and outside of the drawing in the other. I could be recalling it wrong though.