Author Topic: Desperate need for good dwf->dwg converter  (Read 4422 times)

Shinyhead

Desperate need for good dwf->dwg converter
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:20:18 AM »
Without going into too much detail, I have a MASSIVE number of lost CAD files.  I have DWF's of nearly every one of the lost files though, but only the layout tabs of course.

I need to convert the DWFs into CAD dwgs.  There are programs out there, but of course what they pull in comes in as pretty simple objects and they all seem to be in paperspace.  That is a huge help, but if anyone knows of a converter that manages to do more PLEASE let me know.  This is VERY critical for me right now.  At this point I am going to have to have drafters use these dwf-->dwg conversions and bring them into modelspace, scale them, and reconstruct the drawings on an as needed basis.  :cry:  :|

In the meantime, anyone have any creative ideas for the torture and punishment of people who have proven to be IT failures?  :realmad:  :pissed:  :evil:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Desperate need for good dwf->dwg converter
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »
drive a failed drive where he rides when he drives so far up he chokes on it ... then rinse and repeat
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

FengK

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »
i know cross posting is not welcome in general (i'm not personally against it though), but in this case you can probably get more help if you also post your question at Autodesk's DWF group.

Shinyhead

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:21:13 PM »
Yeah, I hunted over there through past posts, but I am kinda past the initial need at this point. I can recover to dwg and there is a routine to put it back into modelspace (sorta correctly).  So I can get my layers, colors and close to scale.  Thats a big help right there.  A little stamp saying "do not use for CNC" and that will wrap them up hopefully.   We are setting up a workstation dedicated to the data recovery process on Monday and people will take turns grinding through the files needing recreation.

After a good review of the actual data lost vs. what we can recover from clients and the like, we are in better shape then you would think. It aint pretty, but its not the end of the world either.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:39:28 PM »
i know cross posting is not welcome in general (i'm not personally against it though), but in this case you can probably get more help if you also post your question at Autodesk's DWF group.

I don't think it is considered cross posting to post to completely different forums.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »
In the meantime, anyone have any creative ideas for the torture and punishment of people who have proven to be IT failures?  :realmad:  :pissed:  :evil:

I've always been a fan of keelhauling, don't know why it seems to have faded away, (maybe the timing was too difficult)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keelhauling       :evil:

<edit> sorry I'm no help!
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

FengK

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »
I don't think it is considered cross posting to post to completely different forums.

Thanks Keith. I'd like to think this way as well. But I remember seeing posts here in which some member was criticized (This probably isn't the most appropriate wording here, but I can't think of a better one atm.) for posting the same question both here and at Autodesk's discussion group. I sure would like to hear other members' opinion on this.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »
Chris, I just had a thought .. it might be a long way around, but it should resolve the problem ...

Plot the DWF to HGLT PLT files then use the PLT2DWG conversion tool ... the result seems to be better than straight DWF to DWG

Draftek

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »
Be careful if your drawings require much precision. DWF's reduce precision to about 2 decimal places, I think.

Shinyhead

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 04:46:29 PM »
Yeah, we are absolutely NOT trusting anything brought in that way, its just a starting point

Shinyhead

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »
Chris, I just had a thought .. it might be a long way around, but it should resolve the problem ...

Plot the DWF to HGLT PLT files then use the PLT2DWG conversion tool ... the result seems to be better than straight DWF to DWG

I will look into that idea!