Author Topic: TimeTrial code  (Read 5485 times)

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
TimeTrial code
« on: December 07, 2004, 03:50:36 PM »
I have written some time-trial code that I added to some of my lisp routines.
The time-trial code is a reminder to the client to pay his bill. Some of my cliental lets say are a little late on their payments and need some encouragement. :wink:
When the bill is payed I send the cliental the full working copy.
Now I know some of you will object to what I am asking, but what I am looking for is some other ideas on how to improve my code and make it more fail proof.  I don’t need the full time trial code, just maybe bits and pieces.  In most cases I am looking for procedure on how to handle the subject better. Pseudo code is more of what I am looking for then actual hard lisp/vba/vlisp/c/c++/VisualC code.
I don’t expect and myself will not post the code here but rather email it out.

If you are interest in exchanging bits and pieces of code, you can pm me and we will exchange email addresses.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

David Bethel

• Swamp Rat
TimeTrial code
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 04:27:04 PM »
I'm afraid that using uncompiled code ( LSP ) or even encrypted LSP, that is simply no way to make it 100% secure.

I have a few of those, but they noramlly test the date on the 'puter against some alogarthim, and exit if the demo date has expired.

Most competent lispers can beat one of these in a few minutes. 1 hour max if the program is worth the effort.

External setup files can be incorporated, then you would use say DOSLIB and check for little tidbits of data / file / size for expiration checking.  But I doubt any are fool proof.

I heard that there are decompilers around for FAS files now, so I wouldn't put too much effort into that 1 as well.

Best advice, upgrade you clients to those who pay.  My $0.02.  -David
R12 Dos - A2K

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
TimeTrial code
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 07:56:34 PM »
Quote from: David D Bethel
I'm afraid that using uncompiled code ( LSP ) or even encrypted LSP, that is simply no way to make it 100% secure.

Who says I was distributing decompiled code.  That is just bad practice when dealing with cliental.

Most competent lispers can beat one of these in a few minutes. 1 hour max if the program is worth the effort.

The people who can decrypt and beat my time-trial code could write the lisp themselves and wouldn't need me to do it for them.  The clients I have, have a need for me that is why they pay me to write the lisps.  You will find most people cannot beat a time-trial because;
a/ they are not knowledgeable to do so, and
b/ unless the programme is really worth it, it not worth the time and effort to crack the code.
Also, you will find with most programmes written in lisp or otherwise, that there are few cracks for them. Usually 1 or 2 cracks are made and distributed heavily to anyone who wants it.

I heard that there are decompilers around for FAS files now, so I wouldn't put too much effort into that 1 as well.

There are decompilers for any language code, if you have the knowledge and time you can crack anything (SoftIce for C, C++ and visual C). Most people can’t be bother to do something for themselves. They rely on others to do so and with the limited demand for my lisp I don’t think anyone would take the time or effort to crack it.

Thanks David for the input on some other ideas on how to time trial the programmes. I have thought of an external code say C/or visual C programme, but that just means extra baggage to distribute with the lisps.  The soul purpose of my timetrial is to nag my client's to pay me for my work.  After all I can't afford a 'hired goons' to break some legs for me when someone will not pay. :)
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
TimeTrial code
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 11:04:21 PM »
How is that bad practice?  If i were to buy a program i would request source.

As far as the time trial goes. There are endless possibilities but like David said, it can be beaten.

What Ive done in the past (And that was i think only once) was to give out a half version. So even if they did beat the time thingie then they couldt use the progy very efficiently.  But im not really one to ask. I just give out my code now anyways.  (Well the usefull stuff that is.) Its just alot easier and better i think. ...That's kinda what this place is about; I post a cool snipit of code and David takes that code and makes it better. We both have a great function now. Better then the previous.  Thats what makes this place cool.

But back on track here... Ill see if i cant come up any cool ideas. What methods have you tried sofar?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
TimeTrial code
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 11:49:39 PM »
SPDCad
How about writing to the registry, like this.
When the program starts ask for the key code with DEMO as a default.
Write the encoded word and today date and the number of records in a
data file. Assuming your routine adds records to this data file.
Also update a data/text file with a todays date each time the routine
is started.
This way if the registry entry has been deleted the data file will alert
the routine of that fact. "Error, Registry damaged" and quit.
When the expiration date is reached or the number of program starts, or
number of new records is reached the registry is updated with expired flag.

On another subject, Why is your web site trying to load software onto my computer?
http://www.theswamp.org/screens/cab/SPDcad.png
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Se8en

TimeTrial code
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 12:10:29 AM »
Quote from: Se7en
How is that bad practice? If i were to buy a program i would request source.

Since one can be pretty sure that you do not have the source code for AutoCAD or MickeyStation, shall we assume that you did not purchase the program according to your statement? 8)

Ron Heigh

TimeTrial code
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 07:54:07 AM »
You don't buy AutoCAD, you buy a serial number.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
TimeTrial code
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 08:39:34 AM »
First of all: Do not _ever_ post under any of my pseudo names again!

Second: Ron is right. You are only buying a licence.

Third: Im tempted to edit that post you made under one of my handles and add _your_ real handle name to that post. What are you trying to hide?

*Alright, I appologise for that last statement; But that really made me mad. ...I dont go arround posting under your name!? Please dont do that again!*

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Anonymous

TimeTrial code
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 03:20:52 PM »
Quote from: CAB
On another subject, Why is your web site trying to load software onto my computer?

Which page did this occur, and what broswer where you using?  My website is not supposed to install anything and I have check it out with Mozilla/firefox/IE and could not get the site to dupilcate what you have. I do know that the site has a few popups thou, and you can easly block them.
   You have me worried now that someone may have hijacked my site, let me know if you can duplicate it and I will look inot the matter.

Thanks for your suggestion on the timetrial thing, I will take it into consideration when I rewite the code.

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
TimeTrial code
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 03:22:22 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Quote from: CAB

Which page did this occur, and what broswer where you using?  My website is not supposed to install anything and I have check it out with Mozilla/firefox/IE and could not get the site to dupilcate what you have. I do know that the site has a few popups thou, and you can easly block them.
   You have me worried now that someone may have hijacked my site, let me know if you can duplicate it and I will look inot the matter.

Thanks for your suggestion on the timetrial thing, I will take it into consideration when I rewite the code.

I posted this, I guest I got bumped cause I took to long to  respond.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
TimeTrial code
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 03:34:17 PM »
http://www.spdcad.cjb.net

Before your page come up I get the pop up.
I use IE 6.0.nnnn  SP1
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
TimeTrial code
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 03:49:06 PM »
Thanks CAB I will look into it.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

whdjr

TimeTrial code
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 10:16:42 AM »
I tried the link that CAB posted and I got the box too, wanting to install software.  Opened in IE.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
TimeTrial code
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 11:03:02 AM »
"Mystery guest", You know a little acknowledgment would be nice.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Serge J. Gianolla

TimeTrial code
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 06:23:52 PM »
I was going to let it slide, but upon your invitation.
"Mystery guest", You know a little acknowledgment would be nice.

Indeed 5+2, it was moi who made the remark! With hindsight, I've to admit it could have been cleverer, but let's look why it came upon being written. I was inflamed by your many statements: I demand, I request... In fact, one has to find all your posts to notice how often you are telling others "your best way" to do things - read only way! Anyhow, got me to think, why is it pinching a raw nerve? Came out :idea:  with "Oh my God! Could it be possible that 6+3-2's remarks trigger something in me because even though I look debonair, affable :P  and amiable :wink: , under that cool 8)  surface I may be a control :shock:  freak?" So I apologise :oops:  profusely if I hurt you. As you can see it is not you, it is me!! :o

TR

TimeTrial code
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 07:57:45 PM »
If I'm going to buy a custom program I'm going to demand the source code regardless if I understand it or not. This way I don't have to go back to you to get it modified if I can I can find someone to do it for a better price.