Author Topic: Funny Countours at Intersection  (Read 2295 times)

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
Funny Countours at Intersection
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:10:18 AM »
Are there some explanation for this funny contours at an intersection?  I have check the levels and re-done the intersection a couple of times, but the contours keep coming out like this.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Funny Countours at Intersection
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:58:53 AM »
[MilesOffTopic]

Looks like you may need a third monitor for the Dialogs and toolbars Willie  :)

[ContinueOurRegularBroadcast]
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:21:14 AM »
[MilesOffTopic]

Looks like you may need a third monitor for the Dialogs and toolbars Willie  :)

[ContinueOurRegularBroadcast]

Blame it on the wonderfull ribbon.  A upgrade should be nice.  :-)

Wedding

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:04:58 AM »
It _looks_ like you have corridor lines crossing across the edge of your travel way (EOT), creating some gnarly triangulation. You really want the corridor from both the CL and from the return to target the valley gutter/EOT so that they come together cleanly. It also looks like you have some different elevations in play at that valley gutter, coming from this same crossing/lack of targeting.

Turn on the triangles from your surface and I think you'll see a bit clearer what's happening. Hope this helps some!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
definitely, what ever element in your assembly is projecting away from your gutter is going too far into the pavement area...check your Targets.
In addition to turning on the triangles, I suggest you also alter the surface style, to add more vertical exaggeration like a factor of 10, this really makes problem areas jump out at you when viewed in the object viewer....

further examine the corridor under View Edit Sections might yield more clues as to what is crossing where...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dent Cermak

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »
From a cartographic contouring viewpoint, you have a contour trying to honor too many points. In essence your centerline is pulling your curb values too far. I hate it when it does that or when two contours try to both diverge to honor one point inbetween them. AutoCad is not accurately evaluating the importance of each triangle value. It has always been a tad weak in that area. In mosy cases you may need to add points to your surface to make those contours "behave".

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
In this instance, the corridor and it's components; the assembly, sub-assembly, and lastly the corridor targeting parameters. The user seems to be adding additional sample points by changing the frequency in this region of the corridor.  Personally I would probably address this region with an assembly containing an offset to follow the radius around the corner; requires a little more setup...that's just me.

I also find it very helpful to NAME the sub assembly  components within my assembly, so that later should they require target parameters be assigned in the corridor, they have names like Target Left ETW, No Profile Target, Follow BC Align PGL, it takes more effort, however it makes assigning ones targets; and later trouble shooting the corridor so much easier.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »
Thanks Guys.

The problem was my targets.  I was targeting a profile created from an alignment on the road edge.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.