Author Topic: my polylines have way too many segments!  (Read 12552 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
my polylines have way too many segments!
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:33:26 AM »
I have a problem with a drawing I inherited.

The polylines have way too many segments on them. Does anyone have any idea as to what might have caused this AND also will this have any affect on the drawing loading/savingtimes/performance and the size taken up on the network?

Many thanks in advance
T :)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Re: my polylines have way too many segments!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
Don't know why although when you offset a spline they tend to multiply the number of vertex.
There are several pline simplify routines posted here that will change the number of vertex in a pline.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 11:28:35 AM »
Thanks CAB, this seems to be on ALL the plines in this drawing. It doesnt look like they've been offset at all.  Some have widths, others are 0 width. I've been using the Pedit command and straightening them, but I'll do a good searcharound for a lisp.

My main concern was the drawing performance with all these extra vertex

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:02:15 PM »
It looks to me like that pline was autogenerated somehow.  Why would someone.....    on second thought, never mind.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »
If you have access to Map, the Drawing Cleanup command (under Map Tools) allows you to weed plines. You may need to run it a few times, with a fairly large distance set for the weeding factor, but it should will be faster than pedit'ing them.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »
If you have access to Map, the Drawing Cleanup command (under Map Tools) allows you to weed plines. You may need to run it a few times, with a fairly large distance set for the weeding factor, but it should will be faster than pedit'ing them.
Thanks Jeff.

No map :( Not anymore. We got rid of it about 6 weeks ago, to move to something more suited to structural work. The IT people even removed Map before installing the Revit suite.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 02:16:02 PM »
OK, well then, does Revit include the Express tools? If so, the Delete Duplicate Objects in the Modify section will do this too. (Command name is Overkill)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »
OK, well then, does Revit include the Express tools? If so, the Delete Duplicate Objects in the Modify section will do this too. (Command name is Overkill)
This is in AutoCAD (which comes with Revit Suite)I'll take a look tomorrow to see if it works.

Thanks Jeff

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 04:59:24 PM »
I have a problem with a drawing I inherited.

The polylines have way too many segments on them. Does anyone have any idea as to what might have caused this AND also will this have any affect on the drawing loading/savingtimes/performance and the size taken up on the network?

Many thanks in advance
T :)

If you have received the drawing created by MX or even worse 12D their strings have vertices set at 1m interval for instance for generating accurate models but a killer when going to AutoCAD.

Alan Cullen

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 05:36:09 PM »
Not strickly true with 12D. The number of vertices is determined by the point spacing for alignment strings specified in 12D before export to acad.

But yeah...as a general rule you get a lot of vertices when coming from 12D or MX

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 06:23:32 PM »
Not strickly true with 12D. The number of vertices is determined by the point spacing for alignment strings specified in 12D before export to acad.

But yeah...as a general rule you get a lot of vertices when coming from 12D or MX

Alan,

AutoCAD user but not of the other 2 mentioned, I receive a lot of files though! The MX ones for example will have the vertices located only at the endpoints of a straight string, but 12D will generate them along same straight element at specified intervals. I am curious by what you said, perhaps the 12D users here are not cluey enough to know better. Without going to weeding [with the impact it has on curve representation] is there a way to streamline the strings without losing integrity? This might not be a short answer :lmao:

Alan Cullen

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 06:49:41 PM »
Serge,

I am a 12D user...have used it for many years.

I'll try for a quick explanation.....

When you create a, or convert to, an alignment string, you can specify the chainage interval (I use 2.5m). Any strings created from the alignment string (e.g. road strings) will then all have points (vertices) at the specified chainage interval (every 2.5m in my case). Unfortunately...if you want curves to be defined properly, you need a tight interval.

The only way around it as I see it is to redraw the strings in acad, which is easy enough to do, but takes time...as does everything.

Any strings representing existing survey will have vertices at all points picked up by the surveyors.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
Here are two threads to look at.

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=2024.0

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=2171.0

If none of the routines do what you need let us know. I have others. :)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 12:55:42 AM »
Serge,

I am a 12D user...have used it for many years.

I'll try for a quick explanation.....

When you create a, or convert to, an alignment string, you can specify the chainage interval (I use 2.5m). Any strings created from the alignment string (e.g. road strings) will then all have points (vertices) at the specified chainage interval (every 2.5m in my case). Unfortunately...if you want curves to be defined properly, you need a tight interval.

The only way around it as I see it is to redraw the strings in acad, which is easy enough to do, but takes time...as does everything.

Any strings representing existing survey will have vertices at all points picked up by the surveyors.

Thanx for that and hello from Brissie!

Alan Cullen

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 02:47:11 AM »
No wuckers mate...and cheers from Cairns...... :-)