Author Topic: Caps Locks fixed or not?  (Read 6439 times)

rktect3j

Caps Locks fixed or not?
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:24:14 AM »
I have always hoped that one day autocad would put something in their software that would allow me to allways have caps turned on or at least be opposite of what I use for every other program out there.  In word or excel or anything else I don't cap everything, do you?  No, of course not.  So is there a way to turn caps on always just for acad 2008 so that I never have to use the caps lock key each time I switch to word/excel or anything else?  It's just really anoying when I have to start typing something else up on another program and I get to a point where I look up from the keyboard and see:

"jOHN,
 iD LIKE TO ORDER A mARVIN WINDOW.  tHE jONES ARE SET TO GO.
tHANKS"

Aw crap, now I have to retype this again.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Caps Locks fixed or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »
There is a custom app floating around that takes care of this.  Ask Keith I think.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:30:09 AM »
You don't have to retype, just highlight the text and change it's case.

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »
There is a utility named AutoHook that I have used in the past to redefine my keyboard.  I don't know if the 2008 version is out yet but if not, it should be shortly.  I think it runs about $35 US and is well worth the price.  It even allows inputting a full note with one keystroke within the test editor.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:34:46 AM »
This and this.

:)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 11:41:31 AM »
You don't have to retype, just highlight the text and change it's case.

That's one of my favorite discoveries.. I don't know if that was new to mtext in a recent release, or if it's been there and just falls under "Things I Wish I knew yesterday (and years ago)"

rktect3j

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »
The problem isn't really when I am in autocad.  By this time I have turned on the caps and have worked for a few hours.  Then I have to email someone or work on a budget or something.  So I switch over and just start typing without thinking about the caps key.  By the time I see it with my two finger typing skills I have spent years perfecting I have gone through about 3 lines of text and have to start over.

I really need the fix in autocad.  This is the exception to the rule where we needs caps locks on 99% of the time.

Dinosaur

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:55:45 AM »
The problem isn't really when I am in autocad.  By this time I have turned on the caps and have worked for a few hours.  Then I have to email someone or work on a budget or something.  So I switch over and just start typing without thinking about the caps key.  By the time I see it with my two finger typing skills I have spent years perfecting I have gone through about 3 lines of text and have to start over.

I really need the fix in autocad.  This is the exception to the rule where we needs caps locks on 99% of the time.
That is the nice part about the AutoHook.  The changes work in AutoCAD, but leaves the keyboard alone for other programs.

rktect3j

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »

That is the nice part about the AutoHook.  The changes work in AutoCAD, but leaves the keyboard alone for other programs.
Sounds like what I need.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 12:02:34 PM »
In the Mtext editor i think if you right cllick you will see an option for AutoCaps, check that option.  So anytime you use mtext it will always be caps weather caps lock is on or not.  It only works for Mtext.

Check it out.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

rktect3j

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 12:11:42 PM »
In the Mtext editor i think if you right cllick you will see an option for AutoCaps, check that option.  So anytime you use mtext it will always be caps weather caps lock is on or not.  It only works for Mtext.

Check it out.
This may just work.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 12:23:44 PM »
My program looks at the active window title.  If it says Autocad, it turns on caps.  If you click on any other program, it turns it off, b/c the Title of the window does not say Autocad anymore
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 01:22:37 PM »
My program looks at the active window title.  If it says Autocad, it turns on caps.  If you click on any other program, it turns it off, b/c the Title of the window does not say Autocad anymore

Could I use this for Softplan?  Remember I'm a big dummy programming wise. (shutup Greg)  :-D

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 03:12:43 PM »
yes

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 04:50:54 PM »
Thanks Cduh.  Works great!

DaveW

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 06:44:25 PM »
I played with it when it first came out. I do not know what I did with my copy, but it sure worked great. What an idea!