Author Topic: Anyone downloaded 2011 Yet?  (Read 13151 times)

sinc

Re: Anyone downloaded 2011 Yet?
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 02:10:09 PM »

While I'm at it, I'll also throw out my other wish... I wish they would make different versions of the subscription program.  Something like:
1) Annual upgrades (current flavour)
2) Upgrades every OTHER year
3) Every third year

I dunno... I'll just shut up now.

Thats not a bad idea.  I can see a number of companies getting on board with that, with a larger discount for larger intervals.

Except it's the exact opposite of what Autodesk wants...  They want you to upgrade every year.  If they gave you larger discounts for larger intervals, you would have an incentive for the exact opposite.  In fact, we'd have people clamoring for a really cheap upgrade once every four years, or something like that.

Not gonna happen.

M-dub

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »

While I'm at it, I'll also throw out my other wish... I wish they would make different versions of the subscription program.  Something like:
3) Every third year

Thats not a bad idea.  I can see a number of companies getting on board with that, with a larger discount for larger intervals.

Except it's the exact opposite of what Autodesk wants...  They want you to upgrade every year.  If they gave you larger discounts for larger intervals, you would have an incentive for the exact opposite.  In fact, we'd have people clamoring for a really cheap upgrade once every four years, or something like that.

Not gonna happen.

Well, this I know.  HOWEVER, they could probably get a few (thousand?) more subscribers if they made something like that available.  LOTS of companies buy one version and stick with it for YEARS before upgrading.

Meh... I also keep wishing for a winning lottery ticket.

JCTER

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »

3) Every third year

Not gonna happen.

Because it's also backwards from logic, if you look at it another way.  If the product improvements are worth $500 for every year of improvements, advancements, additions, fixes, and tuning... and you only upgraded every 2 years, well, thing is, you're still getting 2 years worth of all those improvements, advancements, additions, etc... so by installing 2010, and 2012, you are still getting $1,500 worth of upgrade, even though you only bought $1,000 worth of releases... just because you didn't buy 2011, doesn't mean you didn't get it's advances when you installed 2012... so I can kind of see their logic, but it took me a very long time to come to this conclusion.

Basically what people want is to pay one low price for continual years worth of advancement.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »
James...the marketing people have finally cooked your logic, so that their sales pitch makes perfect sense to you now....really giving them a fixed fee every year does NOT yield equivalent gains in features, or functionality given that it often takes three or four releases to fix the bugs introduced with each 'new' feature or function.   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2010, 07:03:49 PM »
?
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »
So when M-Dub slams on Adesk it's OK; and when I do it it isn't?   

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=32735.msg384086#msg384086

;-)

OK
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
So when M-Dub slams on Adesk it's OK; and when I do it it isn't?   

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=32735.msg384086#msg384086

;-)

OK
Neither  :-P
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »
At the end of the day, we work about 1900 hours in a year. Don't you think a large company cannot afford roughly 1 buck to be added to hourly charge out rate? This would be enough to cover subscription and update training easily!  :angel:

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »
yes Serge, I agree, it's one of the the costs of doing business.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

sinc

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2010, 11:38:17 PM »
Don't you think a large company cannot afford roughly 1 buck to be added to hourly charge out rate?

A small company can't.  In fact, our rates are now about 30% lower than they were two years ago, just in order to get work.

So the added speed we get from C3D is NOT going into increased profit.  It's going into staying afloat while companies around us are going out of business.

We're hoping that once the economy turns around, we'll be well-positioned.  But it's pretty harsh right now.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
Thats not a bad idea.  I can see a number of companies getting on board with that, with a larger discount for larger intervals.
We are on the 3 year plan, which saved us a lot of money.  Exact amount I dont remember, but I think it was 15% off what the annual would have been over the 3 years.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

sinc

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2010, 09:57:16 AM »
Thats not a bad idea.  I can see a number of companies getting on board with that, with a larger discount for larger intervals.
We are on the 3 year plan, which saved us a lot of money.  Exact amount I dont remember, but I think it was 15% off what the annual would have been over the 3 years.

Except you're talking about something different...

You're talking about pre-paying your subscription for three years.  The original post was about a cheaper subscription program, which would only entitle people to an upgrade once every two years, or an upgrade once every three years.

wwhittle

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2010, 04:15:58 AM »
Hows everybody finding 2011.

Ive been using AutoCAD it's ok.

I like the select similiar, added from MEP.

I will move onto trial MEP 2011 next week.

Testing them both, before I roll out to whole company.

JCTER

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »

It's awfully dusty.

But maybe that's because I haven't moved it from the shelf.

I've been a bit busy ;\

M-dub

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »

It's awfully dusty.

But maybe that's because I haven't moved it from the shelf.

I've been a bit busy ;\

Same here.

Actually, I have to wait 90 days after the release of AutoCAD for our EDMS to release their update.  They need 90 days ( ± ) to become compatible with the latest Autodesk release.  Here's hoping that it won't take them any longer.

I'm also waiting for Raster Design 2011 before we install acad... I want to do all of the upgrades at once.