Author Topic: AutoCAD Subscription...  (Read 3006 times)

hudster

• Gator
AutoCAD Subscription...
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:24:37 AM »

I got an email from AutoCAD which states
"As a subscription customer you are legally entitled to use prior versions of previously purchased Autodesk software - even after you have installed an upgrade of the same product. (This legal right is only available to subscription customers.)"

Now does this mean, when I upgrade to 2008, legally I can pass my 2007 version to another worker in here?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: AutoCAD Subscription...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »
No, it means that you can upgrade to 08, set it on the shelf, and continue using 07 for as long as you want, instead of having to do the upgrade in a certain amount of time.  It used to be 90 days, I dont know how long it is now.  But it looks like Adesk finally listened to their customers.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
I think the reason for this is the upgrade process is no longer cut and dried like it used to be.  Before, you could test a new version for a couple of weeks, and roll it out fairly quickly.  Now days with the CUI and other "enhancements" it takes longer for cad managers to get everything working in the new version.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 11:48:24 AM »
No, it means that you can upgrade to 08, set it on the shelf, and continue using 07 for as long as you want, instead of having to do the upgrade in a certain amount of time.  It used to be 90 days, I dont know how long it is now.  But it looks like Adesk finally listened to their customers.

or like us never install it the even version.  2008 will sit on the shelf until 2009 comes out. 
Something I hope to change even if it takes a few  :pissed:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Kate M

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:29:08 PM »
It means that you can have 2008 and any previous versions installed on your computer at the same time -- they're not asking you to uninstall the old ones any more. You still can't give your old software to someone else -- it's still just one license.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:22:55 PM »
[...]

or like us never install it the even version.  2008 will sit on the shelf until 2009 comes out. 

I'd advise you to install 2008 asap because the new options like MLEADERS wil cause proxygraphics.
I think Autodesk should have used a new file system for 2008, because when you now open a 2008 drawing in 2007 parts may be displayed!
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 11:55:45 PM »
..............I think Autodesk should have used a new file system for 2008, .....

I can just imagine the outcry if they had done that ! !

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

craigr

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 10:07:44 AM »

...., because when you now open a 2008 drawing in 2007 parts may be displayed!

What do you mean by 'Parts may be displayed'?

craigr

pmvliet

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 10:10:28 AM »
maybe he meant to say "may not be displayed?"

Pieter

sinc

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 10:19:38 AM »

It means that you can have 2008 and any previous versions installed on your computer at the same time -- they're not asking you to uninstall the old ones any more. You still can't give your old software to someone else -- it's still just one license.

It also means that Autodesk doesn't worry about backward-compatibility between versions.  If you're having problems with interoperability, then they'll just tell you to get everyone on the most-current version.  If the people you are trying to work with are with another company, and you CAN'T get them on the latest version, well that's your problem.

It also means that Autodesk doesn't need to worry about giving users an incentive to upgrade to a new version, because they already have your money.  So Autodesk makes money, even if you let the new version sit on the shelf.  Autodesk was discovering that dealing with all the bugs and issues in every new version, coupled with the effort of redeployment, was enough of a barrier that people preferred to upgrade once every two or three (or more) years, rather than every year, which wasn't as good for Autodesk's bottom line.  The subscription program forces everyone to pay for yearly upgrades whether they use them or not, which solves Autodesk's problem.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 10:27:56 AM »

It also means that Autodesk doesn't worry about backward-compatibility between versions.  If you're having problems with interoperability, then they'll just tell you to get everyone on the most-current version.  If the people you are trying to work with are with another company, and you CAN'T get them on the latest version, well that's your problem.

It also means that Autodesk doesn't need to worry about giving users an incentive to upgrade to a new version, because they already have your money.  So Autodesk makes money, even if you let the new version sit on the shelf.  Autodesk was discovering that dealing with all the bugs and issues in every new version, coupled with the effort of redeployment, was enough of a barrier that people preferred to upgrade once every two or three (or more) years, rather than every year, which wasn't as good for Autodesk's bottom line.  The subscription program forces everyone to pay for yearly upgrades whether they use them or not, which solves Autodesk's problem.

...or for those less attracted to conspiracy theories, maybe they just wanted to get rid of an unnecessary rule and give their paying customers a little more choice...

sinc

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 12:19:46 PM »
It's not a consipiracy theory.  It's just the sort of thing that often happens when companies go public and start getting driven by greedy stockholders.

Companies that are really interested in providing value to their customers do something else, like provide upgrade pricing.  This still gives the company incentive to provide a better product for the new version, to encourage people to buy the upgrade.  If the new version isn't good enough, people won't upgrade.  On the other hand, Autodesk instituted a policy of no longer giving upgrade pricing - you either get on their subscription, or you buy new seats every time.  That means they lock in paying customers, and can release garbage, and then just tell everyone they'll fix the problems in a service pack, or in the next version...

OK, so I guess I'm railing against the whole idea of the Subscription policy, and not this particular change to Autodesk's initial policy.  Still, as each year goes by and Autodesk software gets buggier and buggier, I can't help but think the whole idea of a Subscription was a really bad idea that does a dis-service to Autodesk's customers, even if it may make accounting easier.

CADaver

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 02:41:02 PM »
The subscription program forces everyone to pay for yearly upgrades whether they use them or not, which solves Autodesk's problem.
hmmm... how's it "force" anything??

sinc

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 04:15:42 PM »
The subscription program forces everyone to pay for yearly upgrades whether they use them or not, which solves Autodesk's problem.
hmmm... how's it "force" anything??

OK, fine.  It "strongly encourages".

Unless you intend on using your version of the software for the next five years or so, you lose money unless you buy the subscription.  And if you're trying to use something like Civil-3D, there's no way you want to continue using Civil-3D 2007 for the next five years - this version of the program is barely usable.

$5000 for a seat of software that Autodesk will only support for three years, and has no upgrade pricing...  I can't think of any other company with balls that big.

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 05:22:18 PM »
OK, fine.  It "strongly encourages".
Unless you intend on using your version of the software for the next five years or so, you lose money unless you buy the subscription.  And if you're trying to use something like Civil-3D, there's no way you want to continue using Civil-3D 2007 for the next five years - this version of the program is barely usable.
I upgrade when I want to, usually about the time the current version is retired, and not always then.  Never been "forced" otherwise.

$5000 for a seat of software that Autodesk will only support for three years, and has no upgrade pricing...  I can't think of any other company with balls that big.
Gee, you haven't looked at stuff like PDS, TEKLA, PDMS, or SmartPlant 3D lately have you?  Try an initial price of five digits, with annual maintenance higher than a new seat of Plain AutoCAD.