CAD Forums > Vertically Challenged

Inventor or AutoCAD: the big question

(1/3) > >>

vegbruiser:
We've got some potential new work coming into our office, but my boss is umming and arring about whether or not we'll need to use (and therefore purchase) a copy of Inventor.

Our team of could (I reckon) easily pick up the work in Inventor, but would it be easier to persuade the client to use AutoCAD instead?

What are the benefits of using Inventor over using AutoCAD? (Yes, this information is probably available on the AutoDesk website, but I figured I'd ask here for an impartial response)

mjfarrell:
regular autocad is not going to give you an actual working (virtual) prototype of your device

my question would be what is the scope of work and does that call for use of inventor, or just stick drawings?

vegbruiser:
At this point in time I'm not really sure - I find out next Tuesday what the client wants to see as an end result, but I think it's likely they'll want (as you said) to see a working (albeit digital) prototype.

Might as well bone-up on Inventor in the meantime I suppose.

Anyone know of any good resources for the crossover between AutoCAD and Inventor - aside from the documentation that it comes with?

A good book on Mechanical systems/linkages would also be helpful if anyone can recommend one - Amazon was a bit sketchy earlier...

mjfarrell:
look up Elise Moss at moss designs

vegbruiser:
cheers mate. much appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version