Author Topic: Transaction Scope and why so many problems  (Read 2541 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Transaction Scope and why so many problems
« on: January 05, 2016, 10:58:48 AM »
I have never understood why people have so many problems with transactions are how they get so nested, so thought maybe I would ask.

Other than an subscribing to an event the outer boundaries of your code will always start and end with a method marked command attribute.

So why would ever start a transaction in a method that is not a command?

If using a modeless dialog etc... you can send a string to command with 500 prompts and send those 500 values and be executing or done with command before the person even realizes they have let their finger off the mouse.

Was wondering what I am missing

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
Re: Transaction Scope and why so many problems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:30:58 PM »
Other than an subscribing to an event the outer boundaries of your code will always start and end with a method marked command attribute.

Not quite true.  The programs that i do maintenance on have one command that opens a palette.  There is no transaction in that command.  Then when the user hits a button or fills in some information then some action is done on the model using a transaction.  No command to start the process.
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »

Not quite true.  The programs that i do maintenance on have one command that opens a palette.  There is no transaction in that command.  Then when the user hits a button or fills in some information then some action is done on the model using a transaction.  No command to start the process.
The last statement was CYA(and not very clear) about sending a command instead executing from ApplicationContext but I do exactly what you mentioned and easy to maintain as well.

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »
Keith,

Wouldn't the palette button raise an event and thus quality as
Other than an subscribing to an event ...

I need coffee or sleep, so I may have missed something. :-)

added
as an aside Jeff;

Once someone starts doing weird stuff with transactions it muddies "Clarity of Intent" which has ramifications.
So, I don't think you're missing anything.
....[/  just a noise from the bleachers]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:57:52 PM by kdub »
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »
An example of the need for a transaction not associated with a command might be a "Draw" button on a UI.
Nothing happens until the user clicks the button. There is no command associated with the "draw" method because it relies on data from the UI. You wouldn't want to start a transaction until it's needed.

Or did I miss your point?
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:32 PM »
An example of the need for a transaction not associated with a command might be a "Draw" button on a UI.
Nothing happens until the user clicks the button. There is no command associated with the "draw" method because it relies on data from the UI. You wouldn't want to start a transaction until it's needed.

Or did I miss your point?

For me; No you didn't miss the point.
... and I believe that is the consensus.

Transactions and Document locking are really pretty simple.

Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.