Author Topic: The ONE most important standard  (Read 32228 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
The ONE most important standard
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2005, 07:01:33 AM »
Quote from: Hudster

As for cryptic, 99.99% of building construction companies in the UK know these numbers, and they know them because they are a standard series.
I've been doing this job for over 17 years and In all that time no company I've worked for has ever used anythng except the CIBSE matrix codes.

I hate to rain on your parade, but I have been drafting in the UK for over 20 years and on CAD for 15 years and I have yet to work for a company that uses those standards. I have worked for large companies and small companies, using AutoCAD, Microstation and a small cad system (PAFEC DOGS). We dont even do architecture but now we have been told to use AIA standards, not any ISO standards. I wish that everyone (reading a multinational CAD user group) could agree a standard, but its not going to happen. Something simple, yet logical would be nice. Until this happens companies will go their own way
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2005, 07:39:13 PM »
Quote from: jonesy
We dont even do architecture but now we have been told to use AIA standards,

I work for an architectural firm who has someone who thinks we should be using the AIA standards, but I know from experience that those standards where not developed by autodesk or people who new autocad inside and out.  I use to work with a architect who had some influence and input into the development of the AIA layers standards and he was not an expert or even a general user of cad. His skill in my opinion sucked, but he had input into AIA standards.
         This knowledge plus the experience of using the AIA standards for 2 year has lead me to believe even the AIA standards are out of date and need improving. Also the AIA standards do not cover all discipline. I personally believed every company should develop there own standards for their own needs and when working with consultants they pass along their standards to the consultant.
         My last place of employment had a standard which was documented in a pdf file. We did a lot of work with other companies. When we sent our drawings out to the consultants a link was provided to our standards pdf file on our companies homepage. Anyone could download the file and see how our drawings where put together. The pdf was about a half a meg in size.
        Unfortunately my former place of employment was bought out and the link to the standards has disappeared. I do have a copy of the companies 'office policies and procedures' that has the autocad standards in it. I am currently still use most of the former companies standards in my new place of employment.  My new place of employment does not have a company standards and frankly I don’t think they ever will.  No oen can agree on anything.  :oops:
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

whdjr

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2005, 07:50:57 AM »
We had a guy that used to work for us and his standard was only about 2 layers - 1 for text and 1 for linework - and to change the color per item based on the weight you wanted.  He was also practically blind so he drew everything much bigger than the rest of the office.

Notice I said he used to work here...

Dent Cermak

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2005, 08:28:25 AM »
AHH!! It's finally been said!! "No one can agree on anything". There it is. What's to agree? Is everyone's management structure as weak as ours. Each firm should have ONE Cad Manager. He/she creates the standards and company policy should be that you do as you department head says. PERIOD. CAD Managers are not doing their job, either because the company fails to back their decisions or they want to be nice and "put it to a vote." It's not a voting item. Standards should be set and management should inforce those standards.
The boss has failed to manage corporate operations. He/she hired the head CAD guy because of their abilities. The idea was to put this person in charge of those operations. If they do not take charge, they should be fired. PERIOD.  :evil:

CADaver

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2005, 09:42:20 AM »
gee, dent's been taking cadaver lessons.

unfortunately, most cad managers are not "real" managers, but rather they are just the employee that supposed to fix it when it breaks.  they have no real authority to enforce a standard.

then there's guys like me, cad managers with "real" authority and "real" responsibility.  we set standards, demand compliance, punish non-compliance, and take the heat when it blows up.  sometimes some of my users think i'm just being an arse... well sometimes i am, but i do it to make the point that i really am in charge of this stuff.

M-dub

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2005, 09:51:34 AM »
Here, there are no CAD Managers per se, but a roll they like to call the "Drawing Office Coordinator" (law-dee-freakin'-daw! :roll:)
I think that each person who's been in this roll has changed the standard in some way, shape or form.  There hasn't been a 'True' "Standard" since the days of manual board drafting.
I agree with Randy on this one...
Quote from: CADaver
unfortunately, most cad managers are not "real" managers, but rather they are just the employee that supposed to fix it when it breaks. they have no real authority to enforce a standard.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2005, 10:54:21 AM »
That avatar is fraeikng me out man!
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.com • http://cadanalyst.slack.com • http://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

M-dub

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2005, 10:57:51 AM »
Quote from: MP
That avatar is fraeikng me out man!

What?! You don't like Trailer Park Boys?  Bubbles rocks!

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2005, 11:03:31 AM »
Quote from: M-dub
Bubbles rocks!

Sounds like an excerpt from the Michael Jackson trial.
cadanalyst@gmail.com • http://cadanalyst.slack.com • http://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

M-dub

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2005, 11:07:45 AM »
*shudder*

Funny you mention MJ.  Michael Jackson actually plays the role of Trevor on TPB!  (Different quy whose parents have a sick sense of humour)

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2005, 11:09:01 AM »
Haven't seen the series; that sounds twisted.

Russ

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2005, 11:24:45 AM »
"DO NOT" Explode Dimensions or Hatch EVER.....Argh!

CADaver

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2005, 02:05:30 PM »
Quote from: Russ
"DO NOT" Explode Dimensions or Hatch EVER.....Argh!
got a file from a supplier this week that was very interesting.  everything exploded, i mean everything.  everything on layer 0 with a fixed color and linetype. file was 128MB, 2d architectural floor plan, one drawing.  what appeared as a solid wall hatch was actually dot hatch very very very close together and exploded.

it, of course, was out of compliance with contractual standards, and returned to the supplier with a nasty-gram.

Russ

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2005, 05:36:56 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
got a file from a supplier this week that was very interesting. everything exploded, i mean everything. everything on layer 0 with a fixed color and linetype. file was 128MB, 2d architectural floor plan, one drawing. what appeared as a solid wall hatch was actually dot hatch very very very close together and exploded.

Ouch!!

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2005, 05:41:07 PM »
Precisely what the supplier said when he read RC's (deserved) snot-gram.

/guess