Author Topic: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]  (Read 36229 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
Re: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »
I know the option to create a layer if it doesn't exist was negated, so I'm sure this will be too, but I'm going to say it anyway: What about an option to view the list of available layers in the drawing - sans XRef - and another option to view layers (that can be imported with ODBX) from a specified drawing (default being the defined template file)?

I definitely think the dialog should have a text box, so the user can type part of the layer and the list is filtered down to display only layers matching what's been typed so far.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »
Can we agree to put a pin in it until later?  I think we still need to mock up the UI and decide what (if any) of the settings will be saved, and the save scope, before looking at how that data would be saved.

Agreed.  :-)

As for the UI, here's a quick mock up of what I thought Se7en had in mind (as a basic 'first draft'):

Boss (Se7en?): Let me know if I'm going too far ahead or overstepping my 'duties' and I'll put the brakes on.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »
perfect.

Well within range; we need to have good concepts and criteria before we get too far. Keep going.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »
I know the option to create a layer if it doesn't exist was negated, so I'm sure this will be too, but I'm going to say it anyway: What about an option to view the list of available layers in the drawing - sans XRef - and another option to view layers (that can be imported with ODBX) from a specified drawing (default being the defined template file)?

Nice idea! - I could envisage representing this in the dialog perhaps as text above the list_box reading 'Select Layer From' with a popup_list listing the current drawing, the template file and a 'Browse...' option allowing the user to browse for an arbitrary file - then, the layers could be listed for the option selected.

I definitely think the dialog should have a text box, so the user can type part of the layer and the list is filtered down to display only layers matching what's been typed so far.

Another great idea - I agree.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
First, let me just say "Thank you" to everybody. Is it just me or do you guys think this is kind of fun?

Secondly, technically speaking theSwamp was added to my company's firewall "black list" (I had to do some "magic" to just be able to view theSwamp) a couple of weeks ago so my participation is limited to at home and at lunch when the firewall black list is turned off.

As most of you can see this project doesn't really have a deadline but i think we may need to add a one for our own sanity. There is nothing saying that we cant use this tool or the knowledge from it as a basis for a future group project so i want to recommend that we put a time limit on the criteria list and let the real fun (like meetings, documentation, development, testing, packaging, etc.) However, I think you guys are making some real good suggestions and progress so i also dont want to hinder that process. How would you guys feel about making a deadline on the addition of criteria? Something like: next Wednesday.

Thanx again.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »

Nice idea! - I could envisage representing this in the dialog perhaps as text above the list_box reading 'Select Layer From' with a popup_list listing the current drawing, the template file and a 'Browse...' option allowing the user to browse for an arbitrary file - then, the layers could be listed for the option selected.
<snip>

[grain of salt]: One of my reasons for not wanting to offer a DBX-Template file feature (my comment about the 50 lines grows to 500) was because i didn't want to use a "settings file" (or an INI file so to speak). My thought was that maybe not office uses the default template for new files as a repository for layers and other standards (my office doesn't). [/grain of salt]

I like that filter idea. I cant think of...you guys have some ideas? I think that would be really cool.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »
First, let me just say "Thank you" to everybody. Is it just me or do you guys think this is kind of fun?

Definitely - its great to work together on something  :-)

How would you guys feel about making a deadline on the addition of criteria? Something like: next Wednesday.

Fine for me.

<snip>

[grain of salt]: One of my reasons for not wanting to offer a DBX-Template file feature (my comment about the 50 lines grows to 500) was because i didn't want to use a "settings file" (or an INI file so to speak). My thought was that maybe not office uses the default template for new files as a repository for layers and other standards (my office doesn't). [/grain of salt]

That's reasonable - lets keep it simple for now.

I like that filter idea. I cant think of...you guys have some ideas? I think that would be really cool.

Another quick mock-up with the Filter idea, (was thinking just a wild card filtering system):

With regards to code, I'm good to go on any part of the project, but of course, although this could be completed by one person, I understand the overall goal is to get as many members involved as possible so I would only focus on a particular sub (like dialog handling for example - I enjoy coding that  :wink: ).

My only reservation is in the case where a number of members have all coded the same part of the project - who is to decide which code is to be used? There are many ways to accomplish the same thing in LISP...

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
yeah, thats why we need to elect a Boss (so (s)he can divide and delegate). ...this isnt a power trip or anything but since no one has elected to do it and i'm starting to see that the boss kinda needs some coding experience should i just toss my name in the hat for Boss?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
Another quick mock-up with the Filter idea, (was thinking just a wild card filtering system):

Should also give the option that if the full layer name is typed into the filter box, the objects are placed on that layer - make things quicker.
Dropbox

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2011, 10:10:59 PM »
This may sound crazy, but what about compiling this and any other tools we write together and offering an exclusive donate any amount to download from theSwamp? All proceeds going straight to Mark, of course.
Dropbox

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2011, 10:52:11 PM »
A wonderful idea alanjt! I vote that all current criteria discussions be halted until a majority vote on that suggestion is reached.

*thought* We can have:
1. a private forum.
2. open discussions but private SVN access where all code and docs are posted to.

I can see benefits and problems for both but i vote we close this project (when we start discussing the actual details) to non project members (create a private forum) immediately.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

kruuger

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2011, 07:27:31 AM »
Hi Everyone

I can't wait when you start work on something :)
How about multi-language support (for prompts and DCL) ?

kruuger

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2011, 07:54:33 AM »

Nice idea - you might have to do the translation though  :wink:

kruuger

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »

Yees, especially chinese, japan ...  ;-)
k.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »

I volunteer to translate English English to American English and remove all those crazy U's. :lmao:
Dropbox