Author Topic: AutoCAD Extension Framework  (Read 6955 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Re: AutoCAD Extension Framework
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »
I hope everyone understands I do not have the final decision on anything and is up to you guys,
and if more 50% vote to kick me out then I gone.

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
I am new to GitHub so before I get started I do have a couple of questions.  Are we going to use this board for discussion? or is there a built in bulletin board in gitHub that can be used?  Additionally I think it would be great to agree on a format before getting to deep.  For instance, a command name structure would be good.  As an example, in the sample code shown so far there are commands such as PrintBlock, PrintGroup, etc.  My thoughts on that would be to change the name to BlockPrint, GroupPrint, etc.  That way we could define a command called Block <prefixed with a universal project prefix> that would give options such as <Print Insert Option3 Option4 Option5> etc.  That is just one idea and I am certainly open for any others.  I think it would be best if we came to an agreement before going any further.
Also I think someone should invite Gile to the party so we can use his excellent geometry extensions!
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »
Hi Keith,

There is a built-in wiki, issues, etc.... in github. I agree that a format needs to be setup starting of with the structure of the solution, etc...

I am not too worried about the commands names slapped together in the samples because I can not see any reason for it to contain any commands.

A consistent naming convention for parameters, methods, etc... is important and hopefully if it starts to gain more traction then the more input and ideas to toss around.

Right now I was thinking of people just slapping together ideas and what the best plan of attack would be.
Should we wrap certain objects or use extension methods, the GroupDictionary in PrintGroups will fall flat on its face if IncludingErased property is called. It can be fixed.
What I posted was one of fifty different ways I thought about doing it.

It would be much easier verbally and visually to express ideas I know it is for me.

There so many things could do and so many different ways of doing them.
We could start off with a coming up with small set of decisions and actions that need to be made to get project started.

I had same thought if it gained a little steam to ask gile if he wanted to incorporate his geometry extensions.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 10:02:53 PM »
Regarding the idea of gile's extension methods... Doesn't TheSwamp have a plethora of threads dedicated to various extension methods, etc? Why not strt the by organizing those into a single/layered structure of library code accessible in at least 2010 and 2013 database format projects (as applicable)? This would help to organize some conten already here at TheSwamp, and remove a lot of the initial creative thought, and allow us to focus on those more important aspects, such as naming conventions, etc, which could then support all the creative thought thrown at it.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."