Author Topic: How do you set your Projects:(Vanilla Cad)  (Read 2211 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
How do you set your Projects:(Vanilla Cad)
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:22:10 PM »
If you are using just plain AutoCAD how do you set up your projects?

Xref a titleblock in drawing and create a template for base drawing(xref so if any static data changes can change just one drawing)
etc.......
etc.......

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: How do you set your Projects:(Vanilla Cad)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
Yes
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:58:05 PM »
insert>>  Use SSM to fill in fields in Title Blocks<<
continue routine as before
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

StykFacE

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:42:30 PM »
I had a really good method from my last company, and it's compatible with LT with some slick ways to "automate" things.

1. Create one file that has your Titleblock on a Layout. This is the file that all floorplans get XREF'ed into. It will "host" all other files.
2. Titleblock is on a locked layer, and is a block. The only thing that isn't in the block is sheet specific info (Drawn/Checked by, etc). This way when you edit the block, it updates on "all sheets" (aka: all Layout tabs).
3. Embedded in the Block, the sheet number was a FIELD with the CTAB variable, automating the name of the page via the Layout tab.
4. Use FIELD's to put place things such as Plotted By, Plotted Date, File Location, etc.
5. Use Tool Palettes to house macros for Revision Clouds, blocks such as Viewport Tags and other misc. things.

I found this method to be ideal for doing standard sized mechanical shop drawings. Since then, my projects have become much more large and sophisticated, requiring me to finally migrate over to the SSM, and now on into utilizing the Project Navigator. I have to say, SSM is awesome but the Project Navigator is insanely efficient I'm finding out more and more.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »
I never have used the SSM.

If you use it at the end of the project can you convert each sheet into its own drawing?

StykFacE

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »

If you use it at the end of the project can you convert each sheet into its own drawing?
Each sheet is it's own drawing. If you use it on a few jobs you will adopt it just fine. If you don't need to use it then that's perfectly fine too. The typical "Layouts" method works just fine in most cases, for most people.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »

Each sheet is it's own drawing. If you use it on a few jobs you will adopt it just fine. If you don't need to use it then that's perfectly fine too. The typical "Layouts" method works just fine in most cases, for most people.
It is a requirement that each plotted sheet is it's own drawing file. Model space with one layout that is the plotted drawing. It think that is why we never have used SSM.

StykFacE

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 10:59:49 PM »
Okay now I'm confused because that "requirement" would be more reason to use SSM, IMHO.