Author Topic: AutoCAD ACA/MEP and DrawableOverrule  (Read 2062 times)

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
AutoCAD ACA/MEP and DrawableOverrule
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
Has anyone had any luck changing ACA/MEP entities via DrawableOverrule?  I want to change the color of pipe and fittings when the overrule is active but changing the standard WorlDraw.SubEntityTraits.Color has no effect on ACA/MEP entities(Curve,Member).
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
Re: AutoCAD ACA/MEP and DrawableOverrule
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »
This is a subject that I am highly interested in Mr. Custard.  I have plans to create overrules for certain duct fittings that will override the geometry because the content builder is incapable of drawing it correctly.  That being said, I know that it is possible because I have seen a program that does it.  They are able to override the geometry of duct fittings to display what they want.  In addition, they are adding text to the fitting itself to display properties of the fitting.  So, again it is possible.  In answer to your question though, have you taken the display configuration into account?  Is it possible that the current display configuration is overriding what your overrule?.
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »
In answer to your question though, have you taken the display configuration into account?  Is it possible that the current display configuration is overriding what your overrule?.

I'm not sure if the display manager has an affect on the color though. I was thinking the Layer Key Style controlled the layer color and then the layer controlled the object color. You could be on to something though. I'll definitely check into it.
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:49 PM »
I'm not sure if the display manager has an affect on the color though. I was thinking the Layer Key Style controlled the layer color and then the layer controlled the object color. You could be on to something though. I'll definitely check into it.

Actually the Display Manager has EVERYTHING to do with how an object is displayed, even color.  If you right click on an object and select Edit Object Display and then click on the active display configuration you will bring up the Display Properties dialog for all objects of that type.  Here you will see all of the Display Components of the particular object you selected.  Under each display component there are columns that control the individual display for that component.  Over to the right is the color column.  If it is set to By Layer then the layer controls the color.  If it is set to By Object or a specific color, then the layer has no control.  You can change the layer as much as you want and the color will not be affected.

This is why changing the Display Configuration can have so much effect on your drawing.  In fact, you might be able to do what you are after just by creating the correct Display Configuration or even creating a display theme instead of using .net to create something custom.  Display themes have the ability to color objects based on a value found in a property set.  For example, I have a display theme that when activated will show me all of my air diffusers that do not have a cfm value set. 
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

TheMaster

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »

...  I have plans to create overrules for certain duct fittings that will override the geometry because the content builder is incapable of drawing it correctly....

The major problem with using DrawableOverrules to customize the display of objects is that without the code that provides the customization, you will not see it. So, no AutoCAD LT, or any other software that reads DWG files will be able to display the customized graphics, and the same applies to hardcopy as well.