Author Topic: Cross Drains Not Right in Sections  (Read 9944 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Cross Drains Not Right in Sections
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
Just curious and I don't have a drawing I can try this out on - What happens if you move your section lines just a little in front of the pipe as opposed to through it?

The pipe goes away...however the "FIX" can not be to move and relabel section lines so that the section shown is not the station as indicated....that sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Lin-Z

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »
Just curious, hence the "Just Curious."  Didn't mean to rain doom upon your parade.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »
Just curious, hence the "Just Curious."  Didn't mean to rain doom upon your parade.

Not about 'raining' any doom

just heading off what 'logic' that might flow from that particular line of thinking

and yes the section view station labels could be set to Round Off or Down to HIDE the inaccuracy....
what are we going to practice here?

Civil Engineering

Civil Guessing

Civil Approximating
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:44:38 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Lin-Z

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
God, you get on my nerves.

I'm all for accurate engineering, but there are some times when there just isn't enough time/money to start over and do it the "right" way.  Sometimes work-arounds are the only way to get the job done on schedule and under budget. Unless there's a major difference in that little piece of surface then sometimes you have to fudge it to get the job done.

You hit a wall, you learn a lesson, you make a note to start off right the next time and then you get on with doing what works now. 

Do you talk to your students like this?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
I think you are missing a bigger point herein Lin-Z.

That being we pay for software that should function in a particular fashion.
The software should not force us to 'work around' this type of issue in this fashion, and the Engineering community should not buy into this type of logic.  As it merely postpones, or delays when the real issue will ever be addressed by autodesk.  As long as folks are willing to apologize for it's defects, and accept the 'work around' as needing to be 'the way' then we will continue to hit these walls and suffer through them for X number of versions.  This isn't personal, it's professional.

And as to how I speak to my students, I do what ever is required to help them break Bad Cad habits, and Embrace C3D.
Whatever that takes, sometimes they might get even get mad at me, in the end they learn C3D.  And that means I succeeded, even if they aren't my 'friend' afterward.  Once the bruising goes away, we generally move forward in a productive POST training relationship.

Bad news is sometimes, somebody needs to tell them NO it isn't OK to define your labels so that they are UPSIDE DOWN and or BACKWARDS on the plans.  They might not like it, however, it's a lesson they should have learned before they ever started drawing plans.  And often they have vested hours in setting up their standards, and they are 'less than correct', of course no one wants to hear that message from anyone.
Sadly I often have to be that guy...it isn't as much fun as one might think it to be.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:05:24 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »
God, you get on my nerves.

If it's any consolation I get on my own nerves.

Take for example a users Template that for some reason is set up to output the bearings on lines as only degrees.

Now, I know of a way to 'fix' this bad setting. 

However, I can not rest on the issue, because the 'fix' is really a fancy HACK.

Secondly, there is a lesson to be learned by finding out exactly where and what is causing this rounding of the line Bearings.
So every now and again I open a file from THAT template with the weird setting in it, and try to fix it without HACKING it.
I may not find that answer, however I do find other answers in the process.

Perhaps that makes me a little obsessive.

I think I want that in the person that trains me ; however that's just me.

And I'm sure I get on the nerves of some Surveyors, that claim their methods will not permit them to use line coding commands.
And then I show them that it can, should they raise to the task. 

If they use C3D after the training great!  If they still like me, Bonus! 

Surely I can not be the only one that has this kind of crazy dialog with oneself and or with others.
C3D is expensive and it fails to function...
Why would we spend the money to buy the product, that is supposed to build this crazy cool dynamically linked model, only to be told to uh not really use the model... OK so why did we spend the money or build the model again?
Or to learn that the dynamic part of the model in regards parcels is an remains broken 6 years later?
Oh yeah, there's a work around...STILL!

This is about C3D; Lin-Z not my use of the word [one] or anything else.  So let's stick to the product...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:57:42 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
And just so everyone knows, I'm still very angry over the loss of valuable production time today. If I ever meet that Carl guy... I oughta  :pissed:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
Thanks Lin-Z! I now KNOW exactly (more testing will prove) what setting is or was controlling that pesky PI station report setting.
Very interesting, and now myself and the student that presented this buggered file, can learn something.
Even better his local autodesk dealer will learn something when we tell him where the setting is found, as he or she has been of no help on the issue.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 09:04:48 AM »
OK I've tried doing a profile to replace the section and I'm getting a similar result. It does draw the pipe, however I'm still getting the extra pipe lines that extend across the whole thing. What gives? Surely I'm overlooking something.

See. Profile on left. Section on right.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:11:30 AM by rustysilo »

dfarris75

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »
And also, can you set it to draw the pipes so the inverts are at the inside wall of the structure rather than the center of structure?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 10:10:23 AM »
the extra lines are pipe segments within the network....
they may need to be turned off with a Display or Style override; SEE Profile View Properties image above.
or they may want to be placed in their own Network entirely and then deselected for inclusion in the profile view when you create it.
or use the <S> for selected parts only option when drawing the pipe network in the profile view.

The center/center calculation is a known limitation, and I'm pretty sure a fix has been addressed for 2009 sp2.x  (NOT your Version)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »
I have already turned off all other pipes in the network in that profile view. All that is on is the cross drain and associated structures.

Man the pipes functionality if severely lacking. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth all this effort, especially since we are on '08 and have NO plans to upgrade.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 10:19:49 AM »
I have already turned off all other pipes in the network in that profile view. All that is on is the cross drain and associated structures.

Man the pipes functionality if severely lacking. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth all this effort, especially since we are on '08 and have NO plans to upgrade.

Select that pipe in profile...right click, and go to Pipe Properties, give it a style....a DIFFERENT STYLE, like No Display....have a nice day.

Now you are starting to understand some of the issues Din0 was having with pipes....; :roll:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 10:29:22 AM »
Yeah. I had played around here and there with creating pipe networks in the past and now decided to give them a chance on a real project. What a headache. I guess if I had known the bit about breaking the networks down into smaller ones prior to then I wouldn't have had as much trouble, but then I am learning that the labeling functionality is also malnourished.

dfarris75

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »
I just clicked the pipe in the provile view to find that it is the cross drain pipe. Both the real pipe as well as the extra flat pipe lines highlight when selected.