Author Topic: Dividing an arc into equal segments  (Read 10684 times)

Maverick®

• Seagull
Dividing an arc into equal segments
« on: October 02, 2006, 01:17:05 PM »
  Alright I know I should remember this from high school math but my brain is in lockdown.  (See attached)  I am drawing a deck.  Customer wants a curved deck but doesn't want to pay for the labor of having one so.......... I need to divide the arc into even segments.  (Blue lines)  Someone please show me how much I have forgotten from Math class.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Re: Dividing an arc into equal segments
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 01:33:42 PM »
Here is a lisp solution, also one by Joe Burk but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=12154.msg150674#msg150674
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°ż°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 01:42:30 PM »
Wouldn't the "DIVIDE" command work?

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 01:49:32 PM »
whoa!  Sorry guys.  I am looking for a mathematical solution.  I don't use Acad.

I really should have known to put that in the question.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 03:06:04 PM »
whoa!  Sorry guys.  I am looking for a mathematical solution.  I don't use Acad.

:LOL:  Yeah, that threw me off there...

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 03:16:43 PM »

I'd imagine you just find the length of the arc and take it from there.

Length of arc: http://www.themathpage.com/aTrig/arc-length.htm

You could also divide theta into units, and draw in the incremental angles.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 03:54:50 PM »
  I probably made it harder than it is but......  I found the radius of the arc using this. Drew lines from the endpoints of the arc to the center point.  Found the angle and divided by 5. Drew lines from center point adding those angles and connected the dots.  Turned out perfect to the 32nd but probably could have been done easier.

Oh well...... *skips off to the coffee maker*

paulmcz

• Bull Frog
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 10:10:54 PM »
  I probably made it harder than it is but......  I found the radius of the arc using this. Drew lines from the endpoints of the arc to the center point.  Found the angle and divided by 5. Drew lines from center point adding those angles and connected the dots.  Turned out perfect to the 32nd but probably could have been done easier.

Oh well...... *skips off to the coffee maker*

What is the radius on the arc then?
As I understand the problem, the height of an arc connecting all 6 vertexes is actually larger than 2’. The measurement of 2’ in your sketch is taken from the flat surface of the middle segment. Something is not right here?!?!

solo

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 08:37:38 AM »
Hi Maverick,

I came up with an equation that will give you the length of each straight line segment.  You just have to plug in the length and width of the overall arc and the desired number of segments.  The only problem is every time i try to include an image it never shows up on the forum.  Could you, or anyone, please let me know how to attach an image or a file.

Thanks,
Solo

solo

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 10:11:25 AM »
Hi Maverick,

Here is the formula i mentioned.  I combined equations for the arc radius and included angle into this formula.  If you would prefer to see several individual steps leading up to the final chord length calculation i could post those as well.

Hope this helps,
Solo

<edit: image type changed>
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:38:25 PM by CAB »

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 10:40:04 AM »
Thank you Solo! That is what I needed.  I will be able to use that in the future.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 10:51:35 AM »
What is the radius on the arc then?
As I understand the problem, the height of an arc connecting all 6 vertexes is actually larger than 2’. The measurement of 2’ in your sketch is taken from the flat surface of the middle segment. Something is not right here?!?!

That is true Paulmcz.  I wasn't looking for the vertices to hit on the arc.  Just to have equal segments using the endpoints and center point of an arc.  4 of the vertices are actually outside the arc as you say. 

Thanks for the help everyone.  A lot of work for a deck. But I've learned something!