Author Topic: ARX DRX  (Read 1777 times)

Antisthenes

ARX DRX
« on: January 22, 2008, 04:25:03 AM »
Update: 2008 is the Year of DRX
. . . . .
A reader suggests that I may have been too vague this point: DRX is not a function of IntelliCAD, but of DWGdirect, which is produced by the Open Design Alliance. This means that all applications that use the DWGdirect API conceivably could run AutoCAD ARX applications, following a re-compile.

This means that MicroStation, ArchiCAD, VectorWorks, SolidWorks, IntelliCAD, TurboCAD, and Rhinoceros could support ARX apps through DRX.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: ARX DRX
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 04:34:55 AM »
Update: 2008 is the Year of DRX
. . . . .
A reader suggests that I may have been too vague this point: DRX is not a function of IntelliCAD, but of DWGdirect, which is produced by the Open Design Alliance. This means that all applications that use the DWGdirect API conceivably could run AutoCAD ARX applications, following a re-compile.

This means that MicroStation, ArchiCAD, VectorWorks, SolidWorks, IntelliCAD, TurboCAD, and Rhinoceros could support ARX apps through DRX.

Sorry, but that is incorrect.
The library only allows you to read/write/edit .dwg/.dxf files or write drx app's for applications built using the ODA's lib's, it isn't a binary copy of the ARX sdk, it's not even close.
You could wrap it to emultate the ARX lib though (that is conceivable) - if you had the spare time that is. The only advantage in doing that is to allow legacy code to be re-compiled for use in app's that use the ODA's lib as it's cad engine. With new app's I wouldn't bother.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: ARX DRX
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »