Author Topic: text in 3d mode HELP HELP  (Read 1869 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
text in 3d mode HELP HELP
« on: September 26, 2008, 08:19:04 AM »
i know this is a ridiculous question, but this is the first thing i've ever had to do in 3d (it's a special, odd job, i'm sure i'll get to mess with 3d again); when you have your view set as something other than top (ie: swiso) how can i label objects with text w/o it just placing it flat in my drawing? do i have to do all my labeling in paper?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Alan Cullen

Re: text in 3d mode HELP HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:25:08 AM »
Dunno...ever thought about an inactive viewport....place text over the top of that? I know it's not the bees knees....???:|

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:25:39 AM »
A little more information might help what type of thing are your showing in a(n) isometric view?

Also have you looked at the command variable UCSFOLLOW (set to ON) so that when you actually turn your view the UCS will go with it, and when you place text it would then be in the current UCS?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »
A little more information might help what type of thing are your showing in a(n) isometric view?

Also have you looked at the command variable UCSFOLLOW (set to ON) so that when you actually turn your view the UCS will go with it, and when you place text it would then be in the current UCS?
our survey department staked out a 22 story building, the main staircase (constructed) is crooked as hell and the contractor is trying to blame our survey department for bad stakeout. it's just a cya to have in case we have to go to court. this is just a wireframe drawing of the 22 story staircase. i just need to show different isometric views with comparisons of the proposed with the existing. i'm going to need to be able to to text labels and probably some kind of dimension labeling (proposed to existing distance, etc.)

i wouldn't normally have to do this, but since times are slow and we have less people, we just help out in whatever departments needs it.
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:05:03 AM »
Did they keep a record of the data 'as staked', and the 'as built' information?

If yes, this would be your lucky day.

Take that stake out data, and import those points into C3D (or LDT) and connect the points so to speak to create breaklines, and build a surface from that data. Your Point labels will show up at the correct elevations. Also it will create your 3d faces (tin faces) so that you can shade or render those stairs.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
right now i have (in 3d) a wireframe model of the stairwell (sorry, they're only interested in the actual walls) and a wireframe model of what it "should be". i considered doing a surface for each wall and i could just show difference b/w the 2 (cut/fill), but i only have shots in the corners of the stairwell and a few places where the wall might stick out in the middle (not nearly enough to build a surface). i'm going to have to show a comparison b/w the actual points on the stairwell and the proposed walls. i was thinking 3 floor sectionals to show a relation b/w the above & below floor, then have a spreadsheed of points for comparrison to see how far a point on the first floor is off in relation to a point on the 18th floor. i didn't want to do a 3d to begin with (ordered to do it this way) i wanted to just profile the walls top to bottom and that would show how far off the actual wall are from the staked wall. i may still do that.
Dropbox

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 12:40:31 PM »
is it possible to take the points from a 3d model and to cross sections from top to bottom to show the difference in location of the existing to proposed wall line? i tried doing a profile, but it will acts as if i'm doing it lateral. i'm not trying to show difference in elevation, i'm trying to show cross sections as if one side of the wall were the ground and the different points (showing wall being in or out, northing & easting) are where my changes would show up (like elevations for normal profiles)
Dropbox