Author Topic: Losing file changes  (Read 2729 times)

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
Losing file changes
« on: May 12, 2005, 03:51:31 PM »
Okay...here's the lowdown...

I'll make a change, say erase something, then I'll qsave...then another change, qsave...etc...etc...etc...

I'll copy the drawings off the hard drive an onto the server.  Then I'll copy them back to the hard drive.  Upon reopening the drawings, some of the things I JUST DID are back to the way they were originally.

So I'm making changes, printing them out, handing them in with the redlines highlighted that I corrected it, and get back more redlines showing that I didn't correct them, making me look like fool at my new job.  Only thing I noticed different in the settings then the way I would have them set up is the Incremental File Save is set to 0.  I would set it to 50.  Other than that, I haven't a clue.  But I'm getting mad now.  :evil:  :evil:  Little help please!

M-dub

Losing file changes
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 03:55:07 PM »
What if you try a Saveas?  Do you get the same results?  Try saving it into a different location?

...for starters...

CADaver

Losing file changes
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 04:49:54 PM »
whoa, more than one and only one copy of any file is too many.

hyposmurf

Losing file changes
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 04:59:22 PM »
Has the previous employee screwed around with the QSAVE command?Is it possible that you only have read only privileges on the server?

nivuahc

Losing file changes
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 05:09:17 PM »
Sounds like a file permissions problem to me too.

M-dub

Losing file changes
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 06:47:29 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
whoa, more than one and only one copy of any file is too many.

I should have specified, but I meant for him just to try this as a test.

M-dub

Losing file changes
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 06:49:03 PM »
Now, When you are transferring files, are you Moving or Copying?  Are the good files still on your HD?

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
Losing file changes
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 01:13:48 PM »
Quote from: hyposmurf
Has the previous employee screwed around with the QSAVE command?Is it possible that you only have read only privileges on the server?

First week at this firm...freshly installed computer....formatted an reinstalled...so no to the QSAVE command.  An privileges are fine.

Quote from: M-dub
Now, When you are transferring files, are you Moving or Copying?  Are the good files still on your HD?

I am copying the files from the local disk to the network drive for archiving.  When I need to make changes again, I'll copy from the network drive back to the local disk and overwrite the local files.  Normally, after transfering to the network, I would burn the local files to a cd then delete them.  When changes would need to be made, I'd transfer them from the network drive to the local disk.  

I have since changed the Incremental Save Percentage to 50 and haven't had a problem yet.  Who knows...maybe I'm just paying more attention and re-checking.  But, even thru the rechecking, I haven't encounted a lost change.

M-dub

Losing file changes
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 01:57:57 PM »
Some things you most likely already knew...maybe there's someone out there who didn't... :?:

(Just wanted to highlight the Incremental Save portion since it's relevant to the question...or the solution :) )

File Save

Controls settings related to saving a file in AutoCAD.

Save As

Displays the valid file formats used when saving a file with SAVE, SAVEAS, and QSAVE. The file format selected for this option is the default format that all drawings are saved as when you use SAVE, SAVEAS, and QSAVE. Saving an AutoCAD 2004 file to any DXF format affects performance. Set the Save As option to AutoCAD 2004 Drawing to optimize performance while saving.

Note  AutoCAD 2000 is the drawing file format used by the AutoCAD 2000, AutoCAD 2000i, and AutoCAD 2002 releases.

Save a Thumbnail Preview Image

Displays an image of the drawing in the Preview area of the Select File dialog box. ( RASTERPREVIEW system variable)

Incremental Save Percentage

Sets the percentage of potentially wasted space in a drawing file. When the specified percentage is reached, AutoCAD performs a full save instead of an incremental save. Full saves eliminate wasted space. If you set Incremental Save Percentage to 0, every save is a full save.

Although incremental saves increase the size of your drawing, do not set a very low value. Low values degrade performance because AutoCAD performs time-consuming full saves more often. For optimum performance, set the value to 50. If hard disk space becomes an issue, set the value to 25. If you set the value to 20 or less, performance of the SAVE and SAVEAS commands slows significantly. ( ISAVEPERCENT system variable)

File Safety Precautions

Assists in avoiding data loss and in detecting errors.

Automatic Save

Saves your drawing automatically at the intervals you specify. You can specify the location of all Autosave files by using the SAVEFILEPATH system variable. SAVEFILE (read-only) stores the name of the Autosave file.

Minutes Between Saves: Specifies how often the drawing is saved when using Automatic Save. ( SAVETIME system variable)
Create Backup Copy with Each Save

Specifies whether a backup copy of a drawing is created when you save the drawing. The backup copy is created in the same location as the drawing. ( ISAVEBAK system variable)

For information about using backup files, see Recover a Damaged File in the User's Guide.

Full-Time CRC Validation

Specifies whether a cyclic redundancy check (CRC) should be performed each time an object is read into the drawing. CRC is an error-checking mechanism. If your drawings are being corrupted and you suspect a hardware problem or AutoCAD error, turn this option on.

Maintain a Log File

Writes the contents of the text window to a log file. To specify the location and name of the log file, use the Files tab in the Options dialog box. You can also set the log file location by using the LOGFILEMODE system variable. The LOGFILENAME system variable (read-only) stores the log file name of the current drawing.

File Extension for Temporary Files

Specifies a unique extension for the current user to identify temporary files in a network environment. The default extension is .ac$.

Security Options

Provides options for a digital signature and password that are invoked when you save a file.

Display Digital Signature Information

Presents digital signature information when a file with a valid digital signature is opened. (SIGWARN system variable)

hyposmurf

Losing file changes
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »
Im glad your problem hasnt re-occured though, I'd be screwing if that happened to me in a new job to. :)

Dent Cermak

Losing file changes
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 03:16:50 PM »
It's not the saves or the server. i have had the same thing happen too. Chage up some text. Exit the drawing. Come back in later and the text is back to the original? Happens with line work too. My copy of AutoCad is a "stand alone". No network involved with the software.

pmvliet

Losing file changes
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 06:02:45 PM »
I have seen similar occurances that you just can't put your finger on....

a possible explanation could be:
make sure if you are using reference files and moving files from a server to a workstation, keep in mind that file paths may look at the server or they may look at the local workstation. Also computer's are still dumb and will use the first file it finds, even if the file is pathed to the server or workstation...

it may be in a state of comfusion and using an older file that it maybe finding...

Pieter