Author Topic: Autodesk Impression?  (Read 1439 times)

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
Autodesk Impression?
« on: September 11, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »
Has anyone used Autodesk Impression?

Thoughts?
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Autodesk Impression?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:06:16 PM »
squiggle anyone?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:08:56 PM »
squiggle anyone?

Um...care to explain that a bit?
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:12:51 PM »
a former version of 'impression' that would give a more or less hand drawn effect

I aways question the need to take a good clear cad drawing and then try to turn it into something else.
If all you wanted was a sketch..(scribble, scritch, scribble)..here...now go away...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

jnieman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »
mjfarrel, always the critic, never the the listener.

I have been using it and involved (lightly) in the betas of it for a while.  It's served me well a few times for projects that we acted as "architect" as much as engineer.  I even took the site plans from another firm that did the site development, and with their knowledge, jazzed it up into a much nicer, much more presentable, and much more layman-friendly presentation.

I have not used it enough to set up standard blocks or custom textures too much.  I typically just do the "apply style to layer" thing, when opening a DWG, and then manually touching and fixing as I go.

The program is incredibly far more advanced than some squiggle lisp, or napkin doodle, as mjfarrel rather obtusely suggests.

It's a great tool, although I feel it's slightly inefficient with system resources, but all the same it was rather quick to pick up, the interface was decently intuitive, and the tools were flexible enough.

I've used it mainly for site plans, multi-level floor plans, elevations, and other preliminary design presentations and such.  We've had results and feedback that was a lot better and more impressive than before I had started using Impression for helping money-pushers and bankers see what our clients are wanting money to build.