Author Topic: (AutoCAD) ZoomFactor and Perspective Troubles  (Read 2077 times)

Josh Nieman

(AutoCAD) ZoomFactor and Perspective Troubles
« on: February 19, 2007, 04:24:04 PM »
I know that I've read that others have had this problem, but I can't find that anyone has had a SOLUTION.

ZOOMFACTOR sysvar set at the default of 60 suits me just fine when working normally, but when viewing PERSPECTIVE is on, the increment seems ungodly HUGE.  To get a decent zoom factor, I have to set it to 5-10 or so, as opposed to 60. 

Why does perspective have such a dramatic effect on the zoomfactor display?  Why the discrepancy?

I could change the perspective command so that it also changes the zoomfactor sysvar to 5 or w/e works and then back to 60, at the same time as toggling perspective on or off... but I hate having to customize just to make the program work as one would think it SHOULD.  I prefer to invest my customizing time making me work MO BETTA rather than "up to par"

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: (AutoCAD) ZoomFactor and Perspective Troubles
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 06:16:38 PM »
Only a guess here and assuming you are using true perspective - to zoom orthographic models you actually need to increase the size of the viewing volume ( a volume used by the graphics engine to clip and map the model to the viewport ) to simulate moving closer or further away. As there is no perspective things do not get larger or smaller when going closer or further away and this is how it must be done.
In perspective mode all you need to do is move the model closer or further away and things will appear that way due to the perspective calc's on the objects in the view. Now, whether zooming in ortho or perspective mode it is probably easier to combine both the model xform (moving closer/further) with the resizing of the viewing volume so in effect when using true perspective (not so common in a CADD environment) you have double or more than the usual zoom happening.
Changing the variable as you suggest sounds like the easiest solution though.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien