Author Topic: Updating Title Block info from excel  (Read 2171 times)

sovby

• Mosquito
Updating Title Block info from excel
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »
I work for an architectural firm & we produce drawings for permit. On our titleblock we have the state license number & the license expiration date. We use a series of lisp routines that copies a set of drawings to a specific project directory then opens the title block drawing & populates it with text based on an ascii file that the routine creates. This works ok but sometimes the expiration date changes & the title block needs to be updated. Currently we are depending on the user to manually update this. I would like to find a way to automatically update this when you plot or save much like a field would do. The problem is that i would need it to recognize what state the project is in & be able to connect to a specific cell in a specific excel spreadsheet. I know how to connect to an excel file through a data link but the problem is i would need it to connect to a specific cell based on the state that the project is in. Someone suggested having an xrecord established in the drawing. I am looking for a way to have it so it would update automatically so i wouldn't have to depend on the user to update it manually.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Updating Title Block info from excel
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:47:55 AM »
How many different records do you have for architects? Do you xref this information once or is it on every tab?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

sovby

• Mosquito
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 10:58:14 AM »
How many different records do you have for architects? Do you xref this information once or is it on every tab?
There are about 4 or 5 separate drawings with various amounts of tabs in them. Some may have 5 or 6 tabs. Usually our sets can be 30 to sometimes 5o+ sheets. The license number, licence expiration date, & the state appear on every sheet. It currently gets inserted as text into a titleblock.dwg drawing & that gets xrefed into every drawing. My boss unfortunately does not want to use sheet sets so i was trying to figure out a way to do this without that at this point unless i can somehow convince him otherwise. We have 5 or 6 states that we do most of our work in but the owner of the company has a license for about twenty states. It is his licence that is on every drawing. The number is always the same so that's not a problem but sometimes the date gets updated in the excel file but the title sheet.dwg will say the old date. Typically the month & day stay the same but the year will change.

sljohnson

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »
Lee Mac has a very useful routine you may be able to find inspiration from or use of:

https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=38330.0

There is a bit to read in that thread however the knowledge shared is worth the investment.

Shannon

sovby

• Mosquito
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 05:38:17 PM »
Lee Mac has a very useful routine you may be able to find inspiration from or use of:

https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=38330.0

There is a bit to read in that thread however the knowledge shared is worth the investment.

Shannon
Thanks. I actually sent him a tweet but i'm sure he is pretty busy so might be a while before he sees it & am not really sure if i would get a response.

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »
Thanks. I actually sent him a tweet but i'm sure he is pretty busy so might be a while before he sees it & am not really sure if i would get a response.

I responded several hours ago.  :wink:

sovby

• Mosquito
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »

I responded several hours ago.  :wink:
Thanks Lee. Yeah I was planning on an attribute but i wasn't sure about how to make it change depending on the state that the project is in. I was wanting to be able to use the excel file to determine whether the attribute needs to change or not.