Author Topic: files locked over network help  (Read 3418 times)

Anonymous

files locked over network help
« on: February 18, 2004, 09:28:37 AM »
is there a programme/add on/plug ini out there that can tell me if a drawing is open by a particular person somewhere in the building.

also is it possible to find out if somebody has a drawing that would contain a particular xref in a drawing.

somebody has an illegal version of cad in the building (when i mean illegal i mean there not supposed to have it on their machine, i dont mean it is a pirate copy) and when he/she has particular files open we cant access them or the xrefs etc etc..., the same villian won't own up to the "crime" because the shortcut method of operating will be stopped.  my suspicion is we have a renegade engineer on our hands.

any links, sites, suggestions would be of great help

thanks in advance

diarmuid

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 09:50:46 AM »
Talk to your sys admin, he/she should be able to tell you who is opening what. If not ask them to change the permissions on the working directory to only those who _should_ be working on the files.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

SMadsen

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 09:57:51 AM »
The WHOHAS command can see who is having a particular drawing opened.

If it's not directly available, try load it through the ARX command, or (arxload "WHOHAS").

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 10:21:28 AM »
oops forgot to login

thanks guys,

i've spoke to the system admin and, to be honest they are not very good/helpful.  i cant speak on their behalf as to what they are trying to do, my guess is nothing because its not their problem.  bottom line is, i'm fed up with asking them.

i right click on the file and try to get ownership that way but it tells me a name but, it could be me, and i know that i'm not in it.

i've tried the whohas and all i get is no owner information available.

any more takers

thanks for the prompt help though

regards

Diarmuid
If you want to win something run the 100m, if you want to experience something run a marathon

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 10:41:35 AM »
What OS is running the server?

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 10:47:19 AM »
NT4

THE EQUIPMENT IS PRETTY NEW THOUGH

P4 DELL RUNNING 2002 MOSTLY
If you want to win something run the 100m, if you want to experience something run a marathon

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 10:57:35 AM »
Look at net file in Windows help. You may not be able to use this though, depends on your rights. There is some better tools called PsTools that do many things better than the net functions, you can find them at http://www.sysinternals.com/

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 12:24:06 PM »
thanks for all the help guys

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 01:20:47 PM »
Quote from: diarmuid
thanks for all the help guys

Did you find the perp??

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 07:59:20 AM »
yep,

he had taken a machine that had originally belonged to a drafter, and kept his mouth shut about it because it was handy for him to do some of "his own" work.  i don't know what that definition of that was, are ye familiar with the term foxer or nixer or moonlighting?  getting paid cash for doing work and not declaring it to the tax man.

anyway, to make a long story longer,  i downloaded the pctools and we nabbed him.  he wasn't commiting any major crimes but it was bloody annoying when you needed to get into a reference file in a hurry.

thanks for the help again.

regards
diarmuid