CAD Forums > Dynamic Blocks

Rules of Dynamic Blocks

(1/6) > >>

whdjr:
#1  Thou shalt include no other actions in thy selection set.

When you add an action to a block select only the parameters and not the actions themselves.  Your block will do strange things when actions work against each other.  To add or remove something from an action simply double click the action.  It may ask you to make another selection box.  Then you are immediately in the 'Add' mode for this action.  Simply select items to add them to the selection set.  To remove items you have to enter R at the command prompt to change to 'Remove' mode.  Then select items to remove and press enter when finished.

Note:  There is a 1% chance you might want to include an action with another action but I've never made a block that needed that case.

Josh Nieman:
#2  Always ask around if someone already has made a dynamic block that is similar to what you need.... making dynamic blocks sucks.

Ok... I'm joking... half joking.

ELOQUINTET:
#3 I've found it to be a good practice to have the properties dialog open while creating modifying dynamic blocks so you can see what options are available to you. This may seem like common sense to most but not for all.

ELOQUINTET:
#4 Layout your parameters and actions together so It's easy to select the objects you need and not the ones you don't and if it is a complicated dynamic block name your parameters and actions so it is easy to decipher what does what later on.

whdjr:

--- Quote from: Eloquintet on February 02, 2007, 10:06:37 AM ---#4 Layout your parameters and actions together so It's easy to select the objects you need and not the ones you don't and if it is a complicated dynamic block name your parameters and actions so it is easy to decipher what does what later on.

--- End quote ---

Dan,

I agree with naming your Parameters and Actions logically; however I don't agree with you about laying out your parameters and actions together.  Most of the time when you use an action it will include several other parameters therefore the parameters need to be in place before you start adding actions.  This may be tough to do initially but you will realize the need for doing it this way when you start using a lot of Visibility States and Lookups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version