Author Topic: Most underated / underused commands / variables ...  (Read 22716 times)

PDJ

Most underated / underused commands / variables ...
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2004, 12:55:46 PM »
My fillet 0 is a little simpler I think..

(defun C:F0()
  (command "FILLET" "R" "0" "FILLET")
)

It's been workin for me for a looonngg time..

CADaver

« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2004, 01:03:34 PM »
Quote from: PDJ
My fillet 0 is a little simpler I think..

(defun C:F0()
)

It's been workin for me for a looonngg time..
Because I use a radius of 0 more than anything else, mine is:

Code: [Select]

(defun C:F()
)

Then I add a variable for radius and use FR to recall the last radius entered:

Code: [Select]

(setq frad 0)
(defun C:FR ()
    (IF (SETQ NFRAD (GETDIST (STRCAT "Enter Fillet Radius <" (RTOS FRAD) ">: ")))
(SETQ FRAD NFRAD))
    (command ".FILLET" "R" FRAD)
    (command ".FILLET")
)

I know there's slicker ways of doing it now, but this has worked fine for 18 years, and I'm just to lazy to change it.

CADaver

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2004, 02:58:56 PM »
MTEXT formatting codes:

Look in "HELP" in "AutoCAD User's Guide" under "Format multiline text in a text editor"

Use the following table to create a document with formatting codes.

\0...\o Turns overline on and off
\L...\l Turns underline on and off
\~ Inserts a nonbreaking space
\\ Inserts a backslash
\{...\} Inserts an opening and closing brace
\Cvalue; Changes to the specified color
\File name; Changes to the specified font file
\Hvalue; Changes to the text height specified in drawing units
\Hvaluex; Changes the text height to a multiple of the current text height
\S...^...; Stacks the subsequent text at the \, #, or ^ symbol
\Tvalue; Adjusts the space between characters, from .75 to 4 times
\Qangle; Changes obliquing angle
\Wvalue; Changes width factor to produce wide text
\A Sets the alignment value; valid values: 0, 1, 2 (bottom, center, top)
\P Ends paragraph Autodesk

Formatting codes along with text INSIDE "curly" brackets {} only that text receives coding, in the example below "WIDE TEXT" has a width factor of 2, the "normal width is defined in the style.

This is normal text, this is {\W2;WIDE TEXT}, this is back to normal.

sinc

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2004, 03:30:13 PM »
Quote from: Daron
...I use apparent intersection for any intersection. Anyway, if I force the snap, I can then select one object and then select the object I'm looking to intersect with. I then know that I've gotten the object intersection. Well, that's how I've dealt with the issue you mention. At the same rate, I don't wish to appear to be telling you how you should draw with your software. I'm just putting out information. I'm enjoying this discussion, too. I think it will really open everybody's eyes to the pro's and con's of this particular funtion...

Yeah, using the apparent intersect rather than the intersect as a running osnap would work.  Of course, then you need to click twice for an intersection, rather than once.  Since I do a lot of drawing to intersections, and comparatively little drawing where POLAR comes in handy, I tend to find keeping intersect as a running osnap my default setting, rather than polar tracking+appint running osnap.  For various tasks, I might switch.  And so far, I've tended to think of appint as a kind of "intersect override", which I only use explicitely.  It hadn't occurred to me to use it instead of intersect as a running osnap, although I can see how that would be useful in certain situations.

As is generally the case, one way may be better in some situations, the other better in others.  It's best to know what options are available, and what strong points and drawbacks each has, so you can choose the most appropriate one for a given task.

In that vein, here's another factor to consider when deciding which is better for a given task: polar or ortho?  With polar, you have to be relatively close to the intended direction to trigger the polar tracking vector; get too far off line, and the tracking vector disappears.  With ortho, you can move the cursor through a whole quadrant without changing the direction of the ortho tracking vector.  So, you can be "sloppier" with ortho.  If all you need are 90° angles, this factor might make ortho easier/quicker to use.

M-dub

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2004, 09:34:47 AM »
I'm beginning to find the Communication Centre to be quite handy believe it or not.  Keep readin'. (Not sure if the link will work or not...)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=4248573&linkID=2475176

Change Text Justification Without Moving the Text Position with JUSTIFYTEXT

Published date: 2004-04-23
ID: TP00156

Applies to:
AutoCAD® 2004
AutoCAD LT® 2004

AutoCAD supports multiple justification points (also known as attachment points). Some methods of changing a text object’s justification point move the insertion point to preserve the text position, while other methods do not (causing the text to move). The JUSTIFYTEXT command changes text justification without moving the text position. Both the justification point and insertion point are relocated.

Tip submitted by:
Eric Stover
Autodesk

CADaver

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2004, 11:01:11 AM »
DVIEW CLIP

pringals

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2004, 01:44:56 PM »
Well... I guess I'll stop lurking, and start posting...

I love the WIPEOUT command. I don't know of too many people that have ever even heard of it, let alone use it. It is great to use in your blocks so that information under the block is "wiped out", not deleted or broken to eliminate overlap.

Anyone else use the wipeout command?

Brian

Dent Cermak

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2004, 01:52:25 PM »
ALL OVER the guy next to me's drawings. Boy, is he chapped!!

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2004, 02:16:36 PM »
Quote from: pringals

All the time, although sometimes (depending on some of your plotters settings) it doesn't do what you want.
I drink beer and I know things....

daron

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2004, 08:37:52 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
MTEXT formatting codes:

Look in "HELP" in "AutoCAD User's Guide" under "Format multiline text in a text editor"

Use the following table to create a document with formatting codes.

\0...\o Turns overline on and off
\L...\l Turns underline on and off
\~ Inserts a nonbreaking space
\\ Inserts a backslash
\{...\} Inserts an opening and closing brace
\Cvalue; Changes to the specified color
\File name; Changes to the specified font file
\Hvalue; Changes to the text height specified in drawing units
\Hvaluex; Changes the text height to a multiple of the current text height
\S...^...; Stacks the subsequent text at the \, #, or ^ symbol
\Tvalue; Adjusts the space between characters, from .75 to 4 times
\Qangle; Changes obliquing angle
\Wvalue; Changes width factor to produce wide text
\A Sets the alignment value; valid values: 0, 1, 2 (bottom, center, top)
\P Ends paragraph Autodesk

Formatting codes along with text INSIDE "curly" brackets {} only that text receives coding, in the example below "WIDE TEXT" has a width factor of 2, the "normal width is defined in the style.

This is normal text, this is {\W2;WIDE TEXT}, this is back to normal.

Don't forget \X. It allows you to have a carriage return that doesn't break the dimension line. I used to use it a lot like this: <>\XBSL.

As far as wipeout goes? Know about it. Used it in the past. Found the plotter issue. Never used it again. Would love to though. The other problem I have is that xref's seem to reverse the order of some things. If I remember correctly, wipeout was one of them.

CADaver

« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2004, 10:17:04 AM »
Quote from: Daron
Don't forget \X. It allows you to have a carriage return that doesn't break the dimension line. I used to use it a lot like this: <>\XBSL.
Also, you can use the \X as a suffix in primary dims to move the alternate dims below the dim line.

For dims with several lines below din line, use the \X for the first line break and \P for subsequent line breaks.  Using the \P for the first, \X for the second, and \P for the rest, the dim text will have two lines above dim line witht he rest below.

Ain't it fun playin' wit dims??? :mrgreen:

bcowper

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2004, 10:39:25 AM »
chspace

sinc

« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2004, 09:16:38 PM »
Wipeouts also lose their associations with text when they're blocked out of a drawing...  I believe they added a background-mask property to text objects in 2005 because of this problem (something they should have done a long time ago :) ).

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2004, 02:56:13 PM »
add and remove when selecting

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
Quote from: pringals
Well... I guess I'll stop lurking, and start posting...

I love the WIPEOUT command. I don't know of too many people that have ever even heard of it, let alone use it. It is great to use in your blocks so that information under the block is "wiped out", not deleted or broken to eliminate overlap.

Brian

Dude... please tell me you are not still using R12 DOS ....that avatar brings back fond memories... :)
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie