Author Topic: Multiple Profiles and Support File Search Paths  (Read 2217 times)

Chillme1

• Newt
  • Must learn to earn!
Multiple Profiles and Support File Search Paths
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:31:42 AM »
*** SOME PROFILE FUN ***

Defaults: A vanilla version PROFILE of AutoCAD is included in the AutoCAD Mechanical product with its own PROFILE.
The result: I have two folders I define in my support file search paths (SFSP)
These two folders contain one file each that custom code added to the ACADDOC.lsp file.
One is for vanilla AutoCAD - totally custom code only - Autoload statements mainly
One is for AutoCAD Mechanical (application-specific code activating its toolset plus custom code.)

*** MORE PROFILE FUN ***

I run CADWorx Plant, P&ID, Equipment, Internet Publisher on top of AutoCAD Mechanical.
CADWorx has a PROFILE for each one.

*** THE POINT ***

If I restore AutoCAD or just CADWorx to their default PROFILES, all of my custom goodies stored with the default PROFILE NAMES (CADWorx has a default PROFILE restoration tool), such as the SFSP definitions, go down the proverbial drain. With the ACADDOC.lsp files, it is just a matter of loading them (One for Mechanical and Vanilla). The SFSP definitions are a different story.

*** THE FIRST QUESTION ***

How would you approach creating and storing custom content e.g., defining SFSP's, etc. for AutoCAD and CADWorx using PROFILES?

*** THE LAST QUESTION ***

How do you run AutoCAD and CADWorx WITHOUT using PROFILES?

THANKS from the king newbie of the AutoCAD setup paradigm...! :sick:

Thanks, Clint
Mechanical Designer / Process Piping
AutoCAD Toolsets 2022
Newbie Betimes - LISP Programmer

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: Multiple Profiles and Support File Search Paths
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »
The "restore profile" option defaults to the AutoCAD defaults, not any of the vertical products or third-party add ons.  I stay away from it like the plague.  If a user decides to get clever on me, I've got some REG files with starting profile content that I can just merge in which resets all the pertinent bits.

SFSPs are managed here with a global system, used for all profiles (and the Civil3D vertical, as well).  It handles setting all the search paths at start-up.  I'm getting away from using those to find files, as the number of paths is getting pretty large.  Instead I'm calling my own file search routines.

Using CADWorx Plant/Equipment with search folders is fairly easy.  Same with P&ID/Pro/IP.  Set up common content (blocks, user shapes, topworks, etc.) in a network folder.  You can do the same with the CFG files, provided nothing needs to change and the Live Database option isn't used.  In theory you *could* run them all off a single AutoCAD profile, using a launch utility to make the system changes to the registry then calling the AutoCAD executable.  However, that's a lot of extra development and maintenance work compared to using the profiles as they are.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Chillme1

• Newt
  • Must learn to earn!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
Hello "dgorsman",

Mulling over your answers makes me realize that there are workarounds. Being in a unique position as unofficial CAD Mgr and CAD operator, I am generally trying to find a method that will efficiently restore customization when AutoCAD "breaks" or during migration to a new release.

A SIDE ITEM
About registry cleaners: I recently was told that AutoCAD is very sensitive when it comes to the registry. Using just such a all-in-one computer cleaner with the registry cleaner option "checked" recently I wholeheartedly believe is the main reason my AutoCAD installation became corrupt.   
Thanks, Clint
AutoCAD Toolsets 2022

Chillme1

• Newt
  • Must learn to earn!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 02:55:21 PM »
Using CADWorx Plant/Equipment with search folders is fairly easy.  Same with P&ID/Pro/IP.  Set up common content (blocks, user shapes, topworks, etc.) in a network folder.  You can do the same with the CFG files, provided nothing needs to change and the Live Database option isn't used.  In theory you *could* run them all off a single AutoCAD profile, using a launch utility to make the system changes to the registry then calling the AutoCAD executable.  However, that's a lot of extra development and maintenance work compared to using the profiles as they are.

On the CADWorx side of all of this, what complexities and level of difficulty does a Live Database introduce? Are there easy workarounds to them? To what degree or percentage of time do you use the Live Database option?
Thanks, Clint
AutoCAD Toolsets 2022

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »
Yeah, best to stay away from registry cleaners.  Registry (REG) files, though, can be a useful way to initialize and reset AutoCAD settings.

Using the Live Database option introduces a few complexities.  The CADWorx CFG file includes the pointer to the database, so it's best to have individual CFG files in each folder of models.  The filenames referenced in the database do NOT contain a path, so you have to pay attention that there isn't a PM0001.dwg in different folders, pointing to the same database.

Management-wise its pretty easy, we don't do a lot with them so we only use the MS Access option rather than the full-blown SQL Server.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Chillme1

• Newt
  • Must learn to earn!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »
Thanks again!
Due to the simple setup supporting a single site and very shallow I.T. support, MS Access is preferred as well and database usage in general will be a true breakthrough in this company along with the CADWorx usage for all things in engineering.

I want to be able to better manage and minimize any systematic "hiccups" on the CAD application front.
BTW, I am allowed local administrator privilege as the I.T. person is all thumbs with CAD applications.

I must familiarize myself with the registry - albeit very cautiously - create backups, etc.
Can you share any tools or tips that you use or have as a source on the web for this action?

Experience in plumbing the depths of the AutoCAD Profile .ARG file was gained using the XML Editor a while back where I successfully changed an old template .DWT file reference (previously caused an error message at AutoCAD startup). 

Thanks, Clint
AutoCAD Toolsets 2022