Author Topic: Unlicensed Acad from your teacher  (Read 26721 times)

James Cannon

Re: Unlicensed Acad from your teacher
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2009, 03:35:49 PM »
I agree.  This country is rampantly overpowered by people who have replaced "ethical" with "legal" in the world of right and wrong.  Some philosophy or ethics classes would be a very good way to open the mind the enable stronger thinking.

Me thinks you just might be confusing the two myself.

Just because you do not believe what you are doing isn't illegal, does not make doing it ethical.

You're right.  Very right.  The two have nothing to do with eachother at all.  Thanks for backing me up.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »
Ethics is two things. First, ethics refers to well based standards of right and wrong that prescribe what humans ought to do, usually in terms of rights, obligations, benefits to society, fairness, or specific virtues. Ethics, for example, refers to those standards that impose the reasonable obligations to refrain from rape, stealing, murder, assault, slander, and fraud. Ethical standards also include those that enjoin virtues of honesty, compassion, and loyalty. And, ethical standards include standards relating to rights, such as the right to life, the right to freedom from injury, and the right to privacy. Such standards are adequate standards of ethics because they are supported by consistent and well founded reasons.

Secondly, ethics refers to the study and development of one's ethical standards. As mentioned above, feelings, laws, and social norms can deviate from what is ethical. So it is necessary to constantly examine one's standards to ensure that they are reasonable and well-founded. Ethics also means, then, the continuous effort of studying our own moral beliefs and our moral conduct, and striving to ensure that we, and the institutions we help to shape, live up to standards that are reasonable and solidly-based.

emphasis added is mine....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

James Cannon

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
ok

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2009, 04:12:03 PM »
so it would appear that STEALING is both illegal and unethical

some might even call it SINNING
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

James Cannon

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »
I agree with that post.  Stealing is illegal, obviously.  I also hold it to be unethical.  Depending on your tenants, it's very dominantly a sin, as well.

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »
Me thinks you just might be confusing the two myself.

Just because you do not believe what you are doing isn't illegal, does not make doing it ethical.

Amen Brother!!!
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

Bob Garner

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »
I saw Amy again last night; she's the one with the illegal ACAD from her prof.  She said she tried to install the copy of ACAD and it wouldn't.  I told her she needed authorization codes.  She knew that and also knew the copy was illegal.  She was actually very sheepish about doing all of this.

Well I guess justice was served in the end insofar as illegalities were prevented.  Amy said the students had full ACAD access in computer lab.

Bob G.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »
  Amy said the students had full ACAD access in computer lab.

...hmmm... oh Really!   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

PITSTOP#1

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 05:06:26 AM »
I dont think our office owns a legal copy of any autodesk product, come to that most software outside of the usual MS office!

Tuoni

• Gator
  • I do stuff, and things!
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2009, 05:26:53 AM »
I dont think our office owns a legal copy of any autodesk product, come to that most software outside of the usual MS office!
See, now that I really can't agree with/defend.  Why should you guys earn money using software you don't have a license to use?  That's no different to the guy stood on a street corner selling "knocked-off" DVDs.

PITSTOP#1

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2009, 05:58:02 AM »
I dont like it, far from it I am with you, I personally have a licenced copy (I used to have my own company before the downturn), so you could say as I am using my own licence, I am legit.

We had a job that required PDF underlays and at the time I could only do this easily using my licence that had the bonus pack at the time.

I asked them if they would pay for me subs this year or give a contribution, as I was now using my licenced version, they told me where to go!

The powers that be here won't pay for it, although they use it for their day to day business.!! if I could get a job somewhere else and report them I would!!

The bosses Beamers and Audis are kosher of course!

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2009, 06:06:22 AM »
if I could get a job somewhere else and report them I would!!
And I don't blame you!  Sadly, I guess they're working on the basis that everyone wants to keep their jobs and will, therefore, keep it hushed up.

The bosses Beamers and Audis are kosher of course!
Figures :ugly:

JDMather

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
Uhmmm, I stopped reading this thread after the first page, but -

Students can download perfectly legal Autodesk fully-functional products for free from http://engineersrule.org and register to activate free 13-month student license.  I have been doing this for the past 4 or 5 years.  And yes it does print banner.  As a faculty member I see that as evidence of ethical use of free student learning software, not a distraction.

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2009, 06:54:55 PM »
At least you admitted to not reading the thread, but if you had you'd realise we'd already discussed this.

If you're not going to read the rest of the thread, it boiled down to this: the fallacies that "piracy is theft" (it isn't), "piracy is stealing" (nope, it isn't that, either) and "piracy is a sin" (maybe to some it might be, though I don't remember reading about Jesus standing up and declaring "THOU SHALT NOT SHARE SOFTWARE"... oh, that and the idea of sin also requires religious belief, but hey... :/) versus trying to discuss why others don't see a problem with it.

There was also discussion about the banner from both sides.  Well, I say discussion...

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2009, 07:51:08 PM »
.....  it boiled down to this: the fallacies that "piracy is theft" (it isn't), "piracy is stealing" (nope, it isn't that, either) ..................

and there are some of us who will disagree with this analysis.

:)
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.