Author Topic: Automated Keyed Notes - Vanilla or C3D??  (Read 3820 times)

StykFacE

Automated Keyed Notes - Vanilla or C3D??
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:14:16 AM »
A co-worker of mine (he's a civil EIT) is using Vanilla AutoCAD 2011 but also has Civil 3D 2011 installed. He doesn't use C3D much but is definitely willing to adopt it if need be.

He called me with this question. He wants to know if there's a way to have a master keyed note legend, for instance on a cover sheet, where if you made changes to a particular keyed note, it would update in Modelspace where they keyed note was referencing from.

Any ideas? I'm sure this has been asked before as it seems to be a general idea of efficiency. Thanks in advance guys.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Automated Keyed Notes - Vanilla or C3D??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
This task is handled in either version by use of Call Out blocks and Sheet Set Manager for details.
OR
Another method involves placing those notes in a saved modelspace view.
The view or view(s) are referenced onto the sheets.  Any changes in the notes are reflected on the sheets.

It can get a little complicated if the use is that any given keyed note number is different per sheet, than use of a common call out throughout the set.

Or they could all be sheet set custom properties....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
When I search the documentation in C3D2012 for Call Out Blocks this is what it returns. Which of the results would you say are most likely to contain the correct information?

thanks Michael.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »
When I search the documentation in C3D2012 for Call Out Blocks this is what it returns. Which of the results would you say are most likely to contain the correct information?

thanks Michael.

None of the above...one would most likely only get that information in one of my classes.
As this information is typically not included in a Civil 3D class 'from the books'.

Let me find you a link that will work.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
Thank you! :)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

StykFacE

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »
This task is handled in either version by use of Call Out blocks and Sheet Set Manager for details.
OR
Another method involves placing those notes in a saved modelspace view.
The view or view(s) are referenced onto the sheets.  Any changes in the notes are reflected on the sheets.

It can get a little complicated if the use is that any given keyed note number is different per sheet, than use of a common call out throughout the set.

Or they could all be sheet set custom properties....
Hmm... I'm definitely aware of Callout Blocks as I use them regularly, but they reference MS Views by using the "Place on Sheet" command from the SSM, then adding the proper number to the View on the sheet from the SSM. I'm not trying to "teach" you this procedure, I definitely know that you are fully aware of how it works, just talking through the steps so we're on the same page.

I can see where this technically can work for Keyed Notes but that would be a huge workaround I imagine. Especially if you have, say 12 keyed note symbols on a single sheet. That would be you'd have 12 MS Views just for Keyed Notes, then you'd have to place a View on the sheet 12 different times, etc. This is what would have to happen, correct?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:07:47 PM »
And thus the "ATERNATE" method was also presented.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

StykFacE

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »
And thus the "ATERNATE" method was also presented.
Ahhhhhh, now that I sat down and read it thoroughly I see what you're saying now. That makes sense, and I like that method.

After talking with the EIT I asked if he knew how to use the SSM, and he says he's actually using it on this job. He dove into using the SSM about six months ago and really likes it. So, that's a plus, and I told him your two options and he understood and likes them. So we're going to attempt it. I'll post back after we get it going to see how good it works out.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:19:47 PM by StykFacE »

sinc

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:30:26 AM »
Personally, I'm amazed at how many people ignore the SSM.  It provides so much value.  (It also has a number of problems, but that's another story...)