Author Topic: Set new created layer(s) as off/frozen in all files referencing this dwg?  (Read 2198 times)

Robb

I have some xrefs that are attached in various sheets throughout my projects. Those sheets viewports are already setup where the proper layers are frozen to show what I want. I need to add some new layers to the xref file and I do not want to go through each sheet and manually have to turn them off... actually I dont want to have to figure out and find the drawings where the file is referenced so is there a way to set the newly created layers to be turned off or vplayer (frozen) from the xref file itself?

TIA!

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
Re: Set new created layer(s) as off/frozen in all files referencing this dwg?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:46 AM »
Sure sounds like lisp would be good for this.
Otherwise I think if you loaded all your  drawing  files into the program "Reference Manger" found in programs-> Autodesk-> your version (You can throw an entire folder in to it from windows explorer), you can track down which drawings have it loaded.

Kate M

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »
If you use VISRETAIN=1, freeze the new layers in the xref before you open drawings that reference it. Then you can turn them on as required.

sinc

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »
This is the long-standing problem that the new "Unreconciled Layers" feature is supposed to "fix".

Of course, it doesn't really fix the problem, just adds another tool that almost does what you want.  The only way I know of is to do like Kate says, and freeze (or turn off) the new layers in your source drawing.  Then open up the drawings you KNOW you want to see the new layers in, and turn the layers on in those drawings.

The first time you open a drawing that contains an XREF, all new layers get the same settings as in the source drawing.  So if you keep all that new linework frozen in your source drawing, it will default to frozen in all drawings that XREF it.

Still probably not an ideal solution, since you must keep new linework frozen in your source drawing, but it sort-of works.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 06:14:42 PM »
Sure sounds like lisp would be good for this.

I sort of ran across this weekend.
I added a handful of layers to 4 source files and had to go open a bunch of host files to turn them off.  Other host files had them on.  Since the layers that I added had all the same prefix of "RCP-" (Reflected Ceiling Plan), I would open the host drawing and freeze them in the viewport. I used the command VPLAYER at the command line and when asked for the layer names I entered the prefix with wild cards on either sides [*RCP*] and selected the "apply to all viewports" option. 
Snippet of my code.
Code: [Select]
  (VL-CMDF "VPLAYER" "F" "*RCP*" "ALL" "")

This works slick if you have a common prefix or something you can use in your names.  If not it would be hard to code (at least at my 3 grade lisp level) to know what layers were added.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Mills_83

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:50:01 PM »
Hello All,

i know this is a very old post, that Robb started, but i have been searching around looking for a Lisp routine that does just what he is asking,  and wondering if anyone anyone had a lisp routine.

when i create layers in our xrefs i want to be able to specify which drawings to remain on or off in....is it possible??

Kind regards

Mills :ugly: