Author Topic: (OT) Drive the GIS folks crazy!  (Read 5925 times)

sinc

Re: (OT) Drive the GIS folks crazy!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »
I'm not surprised.  Technically, the term "legal description" doesn't make any sense, but people use it anyway.   :-)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
I'm not surprised.  Technically, the term "legal description" doesn't make any sense, but people use it anyway.   :-)

We won't get into that "discussion" again. :)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

KewlToyZ

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 04:13:02 PM »

We won't get into that "discussion" again. :)

Sales Jargon for "someone else is to blame"  :ugly:

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »
.........  "Trailing Zeros"...........  *runs away snickering*

sinc

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »
But really...

"TO THE POINT LEFT OF CURVATURE OF A REVERSE CURVE CONCAVE TO THE SAID CURVE"...

That's pretty disgusting.   :ugly:

KewlToyZ

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
too much time on ones hands?  :lol:
Seriously it is like describing the position of every hand on a clock instead of saying 4:30 pm or 16:30 hrs..

sinc

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 05:46:59 PM »
Actually, I'm working on our C3D template revamp, and trying to keep my sanity.   :pissed:

I've finally figured out a bunch of things that cause MOO errors or corrupted styles, anyway, and have finally figured out some "tricks" that let me deal with such issues without deleting corrupt styles and creating them from scratch.  It's still very mind-numbing and frustrating, though...  I can only take so much before I have to take a break.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
Actually, I'm working on our C3D template revamp, and trying to keep my sanity.   :pissed:

I've finally figured out a bunch of things that cause MOO errors or corrupted styles, anyway, and have finally figured out some "tricks" that let me deal with such issues without deleting corrupt styles and creating them from scratch.  It's still very mind-numbing and frustrating, though...  I can only take so much before I have to take a break.

corrupted styles?  I do not know that I have seen any of those...what happens to them, or what do they stop doing?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »
corrupted styles?  I do not know that I have seen any of those...what happens to them, or what do they stop doing?

They look like the attached image.  They can't be edited, only deleted.

It's related to the MOO errors.  There are at least a couple of ways to create the problem; the simplest is to create styles in a parent/child relationship, and then try to move styles between drawings.  (I know some who have basically decided to avoid using child styles, as the "brute force" way to avoid this problem.)

I'm hitting them right now because I'm trying to avoid creating all my styles from scratch, and am moving styles between drawings.  I also have some styles that I had to go back to C3D 2007 in order to create, because they use Expressions in Reference Text, and I have been dragging those into my C3D 2009 template.

But like I said, I think I'm finally getting a good handle on how to deal with them.  Sometimes, though, a couple of styles in a tree of related styles will end up like this and I can't get them cleaned up.  In those cases, I simply have to delete the bad ones, and recreate them from scratch.

The good news is that this problem doesn't crop up much once all the styles are set.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 10:10:49 AM »
Likely MTEXT or RTEXT with a missing or odd character in the line.
Try BURST to change the block Attribute to text?
Not that it is a solution to aec labels by a long shot.

sinc

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »
This is a Civil 3D label.  They are their own entities, not found in other Autodesk products.  And they are simply buggy.

I know Autodesk did some work in this area for the 2010 release, but I haven't had a chance to check it out there yet, to see what all might be different.  Hopefully, it's much harder to get MOO errors now.

SLJOHNSON

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
Parent-Child Style coping issues, eh? Boy, am I going to make your day easier.

Here is how I get around the MOO problem and still move Child style.

Drag the most senior style over first, follow it up the tree

Style 1
|-Style 1 [Child]
| |-Style 1 [Child][Child]
|-Style 1 [Child]

Then re-drag the same style in again.

Redragging the styles in and overwriting seems to correct any dangling or duplicate references that then produce MOOs.

Have a great weekend all!
Shannon

sinc

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 11:45:30 AM »
Yeah, that's one of the tricks I've been using.  It works ALMOST all the time, but I've run into a couple of times where it wouldn't work.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
Thanks for the heads up for sure, I haven't had to contend with that yet...crossing fingers, knocking on wood... but at least I have some insight.

SLJOHNSON

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
Any pattern to the styles that don't make the transfer? Styles with expressions perhaps?