Author Topic: Variable width pavement along with variable kerb  (Read 2750 times)

Eclipse

Variable width pavement along with variable kerb
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:57:40 AM »
First off, I am not sure if this is possible or not (i am new to Civil 3D). The below image is a mock example of a site although is representative of similar jobs I've done in the past (in different software) with varying levels of success.

The geometric internal road site layout has been provided by an architect (hence the 'uniqueness' of it). The magenta and yellow lines represent the extents of the variable width road pavement. The magenta lines show where kerb must be constructed while the yellow lines represent garage doors/driveways (where there is to be no kerb).  The edge of pavement levels are to be controlled from the road centreline.

The pavement is to have a standard fall towards the centreline (where a drain will be installed in the pavement), e.g. 3%.

When I have modeled sites like this previously in other design packages it has been basically modelling the centreline only and then manually changing the template (assembly) every time the driveway/kerb changed [which some sites have admittely been screwed up and less than impressive at the end]. From what I have read it is possible to taget a centreline to a kerb alignment, although what about when the existence of the kerb is variable. Is it still going to require me to break the corridor every 2m or so and change the assembly?

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:00:54 AM by Eclipse »

Eclipse

Re: Variable width pavement along with variable kerb
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »

The above image shows the south-west corner of the site in the first image and the merged design and natural ground surface. I have a variable width, constant grade assembly applied with it targeting to the variable pavement extents, then a batter down/up to the natural surface.

The frequency of the sample lines in the corridor is large so as that the shape of the variable width pavement is followed closely.

In the areas where the assembly width has varied suddenly and increased in width, the elevation has increased also (which is fine) although the contours generated then are not representative of what would occur in reality. In reality they would be battered down on an angle between the change in assemblies, not perpendicular like shown in the above picture. I can't work out how to try and achieve this and would appreciate some help.

If I decrease the frequency of the sampling within the corridor, the batter contours are improved a bit although the assembly does not then follow the shape of the variable width pavement well enough.

I'm still not sure how I would model the driveways/areas where there is no kerb without breaking the corridor into 30 or so regions, and even then I don't think that would work for the driveways that are perpendicular to the road centreline (yet also have kerb perpendicular to the centreline as well at the same station).

Wedding

Re: Variable width pavement along with variable kerb
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »
Here's a general approach I would take on a site like that, then work to refine as I went along.

I would generate a corridor based on the CL alignment with 3% slopes out as a flat table that extended beyond the paving. I would create a surface from that "working" corridor, and begin draping the FL feature lines on it to determine the elevation at the FL/Face of curb. I would then use grading objects or simple offsets to create the TC and begin breaking that apart or adding PVI/PIs anywhere you need to bring it back down to represent a drive or sidewalk.

A site like you've shown is going to take a lot of massaging, but it's absolutely doable in C3D.