Author Topic: Dim an Arc?  (Read 1859 times)

craigr

Dim an Arc?
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »
I am drawing wiring runs on a floorplan and want to show dims of Arcs. - How do I do this?

I know how to show my dims of straight runs, but cannot figure out the Arcs.

Thanks in advance,

craigr

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Dim an Arc?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:04:45 AM »
It really depends on what you want to communicate to who is reading the plan. Do you need the length of the conduit or radius and location? Show us a picture.
CAD Tech

craigr

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:12:29 AM »
I don't have a picture.....yet.   :)

I am trying to figure out the arcs to come up with 'premade' wires. - I have to have them made to my specs. So I REALLY need to show the distances. I know how to FIND the distances, but not how to make them show up in Dims.

I know I can put the straight line, but the previous company showed the archs, so I should do it also.

craigr

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 09:15:24 AM »
Yeah, a picture would help a lot. Even if it's a rough sketch.
CAD Tech

craigr

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
My apologies.... I threw this together VERY Quickly, but it should explain what I am after.

craigr

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:37:52 AM »
You do realize that is not how it is going to be installed. There is a connection point on each fixture plus there may be obstructions. Even if you had it wired correctly, anything you show for the length would be an estimate. If this is for estimating the total length of wire needed for the entire project, I would think that you would take the straight length between connection points and add a fudge factor. I would just call it out with a leader. Something like 12'-0" (plus/minus symbol).

I'm in the design industry. So, this is just a guess on my part.
CAD Tech

craigr

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:42:50 AM »
I DO understand that there will need to be that 'Fudge Factor'. That is where experience in Installing will come in when laying it out.

BUT, the cables ARE to be pre-made. So, we have to show the length of the Arc. (I don't care for doing it this way either).   :)

I know I can get the length from the Properties Box, but was hoping there would be a way to show them in the Dim 'automatically'.

craigr

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:50:21 AM »
So the fudge factor is applied afterwards? First you need to show the arc connected to the proper point on each fixture. Then try this:

CAD Tech

craigr

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
Yes!!!

That is Exactly what I was looking for! - (I think)  :)

Luckily, after actually being in the field and Installing for a few years, it will be easier to 'guess' at a fudge factor on the wires. But, fully understanding that it is ONLY a guess.

It kind of sucks having to do it this way, but it is what it is - currently. Hopefully it will change some as it goes along.

Thanks for all of your help!

craigr

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »
You are quite welcome.
CAD Tech