Author Topic: Paper Space coordinates  (Read 4471 times)

surveyor_randy

Paper Space coordinates
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »
Hi all!

Quick question for you.  Every now and then I will get a .dwg file that has a goofy coordinate system in the layout tabs.  It seems like the layout has the same origin as the drawing, meaning extremely high coordinate pairs.  How can I reset these to the standard 0,0?

Bob Wahr

Re: Paper Space coordinates
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:12:14 AM »
MOVE
ALL
<pick ll corner>

Gliderider

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:28:28 AM »
In order to retain the original coordinates/coordinate system, you may want to consider setting up a UCS. [UCS > Origin].
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to change the original coordinates? They're probably high for a reason (State Plane, UTM...). If you muck with moving objects from their original coords, it could cause you problems down the line when trying to import/export objects, xrefs, etc.

<edit> if you just want to move objects in Paperspace (title blocks , notes, etc.) ignore what I said and follow Bob's suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:33:11 AM by Gliderider »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »
Say Randy, just out of sheer curiosity send me one of these files. The first reasons is to educate myself on this issue, and secondly perhaps suggest an 'optimal' solution for same.

All nondisclosure agreements expressed or implied.  OR I never seen it, don't know who, what, or where it came from so don't ask me.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »
In order to retain the original coordinates/coordinate system, you may want to consider setting up a UCS. [UCS > Origin].
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to change the original coordinates? They're probably high for a reason (State Plane, UTM...). If you muck with moving objects from their original coords, it could cause you problems down the line when trying to import/export objects, xrefs, etc.

<edit> if you just want to move objects in Paperspace (title blocks , notes, etc.) ignore what I said and follow Bob's suggestion.

If you move the objects in paperspace to 0,0 you don't lose your modelspace coordinates. Paperspace is mainly for plotting purposes and has no effect on the coordinate system used in modelspace.
I drink beer and I know things....

Bob Wahr

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »
I'm wondering if someone didn't draw in a bounding box, then did a copy w/basepoint from 0,0, pasting into paperspace as some misguided part of a bizarre attempt at drawing setup.

surveyor_randy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 07:08:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Michael, if I get a chance later, I will email you that drawing.

I don't know how it happened.  But they are state plane coordinates since they are in the millions range.  It just makes it a big pain in the a** to setup drawing borders.  I like to use 0,0 as the paper corner and then set my borders up from there.  In this instance, I am having to eyeball where the paper corner is.

The model space coordinates and paper space coordinates are two different animals, for those of you who don't know.  Unless you are inside of a pspace viewport, moving items will only move them in paper space.  I was wanting to reset my paper space coordinates to 0,0.  The sheet (white preview page) is even at a high coordinate value.

I haven't seen paperspace have such high coordinate values before and was wondering how it happened and how to fix it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:23:47 AM by surveyor_randy »

Bob Wahr

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 07:44:32 AM »
I haven't seen paperspace have such high coordinate values before and was wondering how it happened
Not having been the person who set the drawing up, I can't answer to the how although I gave a guess. Another possibility..based on "In this instance, I am having to eyeball where the paper corner is," it sounds like you are using a titleblock other than your own.  Big possibility that the titleblock was at one point, inserted into model space, then blocked out, and that the origin of the titleblock is 0,0 but that the entities are up in the state plane range.
and how to fix it.
MOVE
ALL
<pick ll corner>
The model space coordinates and paper space coordinates are two different animals, for those of you who don't know.
I'm going to have to put on the ass hat for a minute now.  I'm well aware of the difference between model and paper space, are you?
Unless you are inside of a pspace viewport, moving items will only move them in paper space.
which is what I was telling you to do
I was wanting to reset my paper space coordinates to 0,0.  The sheet (white preview page) is even at a high coordinate value.
The reason I asked was because it sounds like you want to "solve" your problem by setting a paperspace UCS which is not the way paper space works.  what you need to do, is move the paperspace entities from where you don't want them to where you do want them.

daron

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 09:16:13 AM »
I haven't seen paperspace have such high coordinate values before and was wondering how it happened
Not having been the person who set the drawing up, I can't answer to the how although I gave a guess. Another possibility..based on "In this instance, I am having to eyeball where the paper corner is," it sounds like you are using a titleblock other than your own.  Big possibility that the titleblock was at one point, inserted into model space, then blocked out, and that the origin of the titleblock is 0,0 but that the entities are up in the state plane range.
and how to fix it.
MOVE
ALL
<pick ll corner>
Another possibility IF the first part of the quote is correct is to place a point on the insertion point of the block (setting pdmode to something other than 1), enter "edit block in place" and move all from LL to the insertion point, hence why you need a physical point beforehand. Save and close, then erase the point. Then move the block from LL to 0,0 if it isn't already done. I know that seems unnecessary but I just can't stand blocks that are built poorly such as this and would hate to repeatedly use something like this.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 09:24:54 AM »
Seriously, man, paper space coords rarely mean dookie.

The only time they ever -do- mean anything is for standard page setups for printing, and it's usually mandantory that the border be at 0,0.

Just move the stuff in paperspace to a reasonable place.

UCS command doesn't even work in PSpace last I remember.

There's nothing going on other than a possible fluke upon block insertion, then someone just zoom'extents'd and went to work.  Moving paperspace ain't gonna hurt nothin'

uncoolperson

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »