Author Topic: XRef binding  (Read 7345 times)

Re: XRef binding
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 03:46:59 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!  Back the truck up!!!  30-50 THOUSAND files??!?  Is each line an xref?!??   :-o
What in the holy hell.....?!?
...Does that seem like a lot?...

Uh, yeah!!  That's like... WOW!!  The most I've ever had to deal with is 20... maybe.

<side note> Can I get a block of one of those 3D cranes? Those are schweet!! </side note>

CADaver

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!  Back the truck up!!!  30-50 THOUSAND files??!?  Is each line an xref?!??   :-o
What in the holy hell.....?!?
...Does that seem like a lot?...

Uh, yeah!!  That's like... WOW!!  The most I've ever had to deal with is 20... maybe.

<side note> Can I get a block of one of those 3D cranes? Those are schweet!! </side note>
Those are PDS graphics models.  I've tried several different ways to get them into AutoCAD through Microstation, but they still lose the surfaces and drop to 3dlines.  I have a guy that used to work for Intergraph, working for me now and he's looking into the conversion.  if anyone here has a clue or a guess, I'll give it a shot??

Didge

• Bull Frog
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 03:52:47 AM »
we charge an additional $25 per file

200 x $25, blimey - I'll script the binding for half that price Tracey, looks like the drinks are on me guys. :-)

Edit: That cost initially seemed excessive as we would normally charge clients at our usual hourly rate, in hindsight however charging for additional services such as this might actually make clients think twice before making similar requests. The customer is always right, as long as they're prepared to pay for the privilege.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:29:10 AM by Didge »
Think Slow......

CADaver

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 08:43:39 AM »
200 x $25, blimey - I'll script the binding for half that price Tracey, looks like the drinks are on me guys. :-)
We batch the process through DWGTrueView->DWGConvert, which will do a directory of several thousand files in just a few minutes.  The charge is an "aggravation" fee.

Edit: That cost initially seemed excessive as we would normally charge clients at our usual hourly rate, in hindsight however charging for additional services such as this might actually make clients think twice before making similar requests. The customer is always right, as long as they're prepared to pay for the privilege.
Bingo, more often than not someone says, "Bind all the XREF's" without "thinking" about the process and what XREF's are for.  The fee makes them ask the question, we educate them (free), then they can make the choice with better info.  Usually, the response is "Never mind, we're okay as is."

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 01:51:17 PM »
Be aware that if you have any nested xrefs in these files, they will not bind.
ronjonp I just tested an xref nested 2 deep and it bound fine.

CADaver

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 02:41:50 PM »
Be aware that if you have any nested xrefs in these files, they will not bind.
ronjonp I just tested an xref nested 2 deep and it bound fine.
The parent may not bind

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 04:34:09 AM »
Thanks all for help and advice.
All drawings are now ready to send to the client. :)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

t-bear

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 01:59:18 PM »
You billed them for it, I hope!!  :angel: :lmao: :lmao:hope!

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 03:20:20 PM »
It will be... in a round about way... woo-hoo, free swamp-time ;)

But in all seriousness, I'm hoping that allowances were built into the contract.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.