Author Topic: xref and image bind  (Read 5345 times)

pmvliet

xref and image bind
« on: June 04, 2004, 10:34:26 AM »
I have a two part question. I use a script to bind xref's(I don't want to get into a debate that it is not good...)
if you bind a drawing by itself when you go to bind, it brings up another dialog box that says "bind" or "insert". The insert feature is nicer, but how do I get this option when I do -xref in my script?

Images, how does one go about binding an image into a file so that there is just a dwg that have photo's in it where you do not need to send the photo's along with the dwg... I often use images for business logo's and it is a pain when you send files the image is not found.

TIA

Pieter

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
Re: xref and image bind
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 10:50:59 AM »
Quote from: pmvliet
Images, how does one go about binding an image into a file so that there is just a dwg that have photo's in it where you do not need to send the photo's along with the dwg... I often use images for business logo's and it is a pain when you send files the image is not found.

I don't believe you can bind an image. That would require that the image become part of the file, and as it is in another graphic format this is not possible.
I drink beer and I know things....

Andrew H

xref and image bind
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 02:09:22 PM »
It is possible to bind an image, but it isn't that simple.

When you actually bind the image the drawing file size grows at least 1mb per image.

You don't actually bind the image after inserting it, you insert as a bound image.

Commands:
Insert (file pull down), OLE Object...Create from File and make sure the LINK option is unchecked.

Let me know if this helps or if I've just confused you.

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
xref and image bind
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 02:34:21 PM »
Very Good, I stand corrected.
I drink beer and I know things....

pmvliet

xref and image bind
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 04:10:53 PM »
ok, so you treat it as an OLE Object
and not have it linked..
I'll try that in the future...

Thanks,
Pieter

Andrew H

xref and image bind
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 10:11:05 AM »
Yes, unfortunately you have to have it as an OLE which is the reason for the 1mb per image file size. You can insert an image as a raster image leaving the drawing file size small, but you have an un-bind-able link. Give and take, give and take.

pmvliet

xref and image bind
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 04:16:21 PM »
I wanted to add this for future searches.
There is a variable in AutoCad "Bindtype"
the default is set to 0 and will create the $layer$ layer names.
if you set the variable to 1, it will treat it like the insert command when you use the dialog box.

This is very helpful to get the insert function when running the bind option in a batch process.

Type: Integer
Not Saved
Initial value: 0
Controls how xref names are handled when binding xrefs or editing xrefs in place.

0  Traditional binding behavior ("xref1|one" becomes "xref$0$one")
1  Insert-like behavior ("xref1|one" becomes "one")

Pieter